Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello everyone

spikeysspikey Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone. Since about mid 2004 I have been living, and dealing with what my doctor calls chronic back pain. Since my doctor is an HMO I really only get so much help from him. Every once in a while they will send me to the "Pain management" doctors, but honestly I have only seen them about 4 times since 04. I am really not too sure what condition I actually have. I was told that I have basically fried, or short circuited my central nervous system.

I have been through physical therapy about 6 times, acupuncture, tried plenty of opiates, and muscle relaxers, then we tried a nerve burn. Cauterized 6 nerve endings in my lower back.

I figure I will look around here for a little bit to see if I can figure anything out that can help me. All I really have been told is that I injured myself enough times without healing between that now my brain and back are constantly sending the pain message back and forth.

A mental note about me. I always keep things on the positive side of life. I am not bummed or depressed just concerned as things are getting worse & worse. I have changed my line of work once already, and it's looking like I am going to start looking for something else, and I really don't want to do that.

Wow, I am usually a lurker on msg boards. Sorry about the long intro.

• Hi spikey :H I am sorry for you have to deal with but am happy you found this site :)

The support and knowledge that I get here is quite literally a life saver.

Hope to get to know you better... ( Beth )
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I'm sure you will find lots of info. How did you injure your back? And what levels are affected? I would assume that you had an MRI or CT or other tests. Did you get the results? If not you should get them from your doctor. Just a good idea to always get copies.

What are you doing or taking right now? PM docs generally fall into two areas. Some primarily do injections or nerve burns. Others focus on medications. And of course there is some overlap. But usually if you are on long term narcotic pain meds a PM doc would do the prescribing so that they control what you get.

Also what type of doctor are you seeing for this? Neuro, ortho or surgeon?

Again welcome and I look forward to hearing from you.
  • With Kaiser being my insurance I only get to see my PM doc when I am referred to him. I get to see my general practice doc all other times. I am currently taking 90mg of morphine every 8 hours, and 50mg Dantrolene with them. I have issues with the other opiates, Oxy's make me very grouchy. When I snapped at my wife for no reason I figured that one out. I have been on the same morphine dose well over a year, so it has weakened for me.

I injured myself Working high rise construction. I was young and stupid and let them talk me out of filing a claim. At the time I was very active playing ice hockey, and snowboarding, mountain biking, ext. So The safety dept was "nice" enough to let me know that all my activities would go against the claim... :-)

I did not get copies of my MRI or CT scans, I will look into getting those.

• Welcome! Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.
  • Hello and Welcome Spikey!! My Hubby played Hockey for years, Nice to see a player on the site!! LOL....

Well these wonderful, compassionate people on this site have literally saved MANY people from the "dark" thoughts and deep depression....so it is a welcome to have a another positive member on board!!

Welcome again and I look forward to getting to know you more!!
  • rachely476,welcome to spiney court! :H tell us alittle more about yourself! good luck to you and your pain issues! Jenny :)
  • Hiya jenny >:D< , not seen you in a while! How are you? :D

Angie >:D<
  • sorry should have sent that as a PM, sorry #o

Angie :S
  • Welcome. Sorry to hear you are stuck in MANAGED CARE HELL! People this is what you will get if you ask for universal healthcare..stop the madness now.

You should be responsible for you own health not some organization. UGH!

So like everyone else said, I would go back and tell them to talk to you like an adult (not "you fried your central nervous system") and tell them you want an MRI to figure out what the problem is and a regimen including regular PM if necessary to solve your issue. TAKE CHARGE. Best of luck.

• Welcome to Spine Health!!! There is a search box at the top of the web page that might help if you want to research some more questions.

Sorry to hear you're with an HMO - pretty limited with that some times. Keep pushing and hopefully things will turn around for you. Gentle support *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.