Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Massage not the best treatment?

LasVegasLLasVegas Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Alternative Treatments
Recent MRI shows I have inflammation in my lumbar, along with bulging discs, narrowing, some arthritis, etc that required epidural injections yesterday.

Now I just saw this article (see excerpt below) that makes me feel reluctant on scheduling future therapeutic massage visits. I have had 3 massages (trigger point she called it) and minimal relief, however felt soothing when receiving massage.

Anybody who can share an opinion, please reply.

"Massage Therapy Considerations for Lower Back Pain
By: Beth Mueller, RMT

The muscle spasm should relax in response to the pressure applied by the massage therapist. If the muscle does not relax in response to the pressure, there is usually inflammation present. Massage is not the best treatment option for inflamed muscles, and patients should consult their doctor for treatment for the inflammation."

• Again this depends. No one can see what is going on inside your skin unless they cut you open. If the inflamation is from fluid buildup good massage can help to move the fluid around which helps the body reabsorb it faster. If it is muscle spasms you might want to try a muscle relaxer in conjunction with a PT doing deep tissue massage. But muscle spasms can take months or years to resolve so be prepared for slow results.

This is why I really think you need an ortho diagnosis before doing anything else. What is your PM doc? Usually they are anesthesiologists which would explain them pushing the injections right away. Some are neurologists but you would have to call the office or look on line. Most of the doctor rating sites will tell you what his training and specialty is.