Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

nsaid's would they have made a differance

miss grumpymmiss grumpy Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
hi im still struggling to accept that iv got some life style changes to make since being diagnosed with cervical ostioathritus, and cervical stenosis, i wonder if i had taken my anti inflmatories as advised, would they have held of the desease, and reduced the chances of me needing this fusion that isnt reparing. i know if i had stopped distance running in the early days i would probably be in a better physical condition than i am now. and why, does anyone know, why cant you take nsaid's untill the fusion as taken. and i wonder if a time will come when my neck is no longer the only thing a think about. :( :/ :''(

• Howdy Miss Grumpy,

It is believed widely that NSAIDs may cause bleeding and interfere with bone healing. It can inhibit the Osteogenesis (fusing of bone). Most surgeons restrict their use for up to 6 months or more. Hope that helps.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hello Miss Grumpy,
    I can totally relate to where you are now. I have been there for over 14 years. Have your Doctors mentioned Nerve Ablation. They go in and use lasers to burn the nerves in your neck. It worked well for me the first time. Not doing so well after this last one though. And I'm sorry to tell you that with your diagnosis, it probably will never get back to normal. It is something you have to come to terms with. Medications can help with your having some semblance of a normal life and if you can put up with a little pain, you should be able to do most of the things you did before. NSAIDS have never worked for me and they tear my stomach up. Many people don't want to use pain meds (opioids), because they're afraid of getting addicted, but you can "addicted" to anti-depressants as well. But for me, at least, it allows me some quality of life. I would rather be dependent on pain meds than miserable and in pain.
  • thank you both. your comments were a great help :)
  • Continuous use of NSAIDs also raises the risk of hearing loss. There was a report that came out around March that had this finding.
  • I've been on various versions of these for many years, and one by one they have been found to be harmful and withdrawn.
    My daughter has convinced me to stop taking them as there seems to be more reason to not take them than otherwise.
    Lots of adverse effects on the body, both to joints and heart, for starters.
    So I quit this week, and will see how I go.
    There is no cure for arthritis, and some say NSAIDS actually damage the joints further.
    Doctors are drug orientated and can't see past a drug regimen.
    However, you can find natural anti-inflammatories if you research them.
    I think fish oil is one.
    I'm always being told to keep the sore joints moving so that they don't lock up or fuse. It's tempting to lie down a bit too much!
    A big factor in treating arthritis is diet.
    There are foods to avoid, foods to eat especially, and a great need to ensure you are taking in vitamins and minerals.
    Modern diets are very poor in nutrients, minerals and vitamins.
    I have had a huge benefit from taking magnesium oil, with far less muscle soreness, and I'm now taking large doses of Vitamin C as it is essential for healing. Certainly feel better.
    Unfortunately though, my lower back is now sore all of the time, and physios and chiros can only fix it temporarily.
    My neck is also a problem, aggravated by using arms too much, but if I'm careful I can be quite pain free, even though my Dr says my neck is worn out.
    Most of the pain was from muscle tension, and the magnesium has fixed that.
    I should know in a few days whether or not I can get by without the NSAIDS.
  • im in the process of cleaning up my nutriton, i was so into fitness you would have thought i should know lots, but sadely not, im upping the veg and trying to up protien i do have an underactive thyroid and on med for that so yes i think my next port of call is def wise up on nutrients. thank you for your help :)
  • im in the process of cleaning up my nutriton, i was so into fitness you would have thought i should know lots, but sadely not, im upping the veg and trying to up protien i do have an underactive thyroid and on med for that so yes i think my next port of call is def wise up on nutrients. thank you for your help :)
  • Good on you Tina.
    My family has been focussing on diets and dietary choices for several years as they battled weight and illnesses.
    There are a few comments I could now make:
    Avoid diets. Going on a diet also means going off a diet, so you go back to the old ways.
    Better to spend some tome reviewing your options and looking into nutrition.
    Then, plan a lifestyle dietary change that you can live with and stay on.
    Weight loss should be gradual ( I'm assuming this is a factor-we all face it!).
    While exercise is important, the main thing is to reduce food intake in the first place.
    Avoid sugar in any form, processed foods, precooked meals, soft drinks and so on.
    Take a quality (not supermarket) vitamin supplement; take mineral supplements-especially magnesium.
    Give yourself a chance to change-it won't happen overnight.
    Still enjoy the occasional treat, in moderation. If you deny the things you love, you will begin to crave them and then binge.
    Think of things like white bread, processed cereals, processed meats,lollies, soft drinks, cakes, cookies and so on as poison.
    See if that works!
  • thanks for great advice, iv decided to enrol on an open uni course in nutrition now i have all this time on my hands , i do have trouble in resting i hate sitting about which doesnt help me heal i walk alot whilst i can changing the food is my most challenging task more so because healthy eating allways seems to cost so much and im on a very tight budget.if i could get all the nutrition from soups it would be great :))(
    Tina xox
  • Would love to hear how this goes and if you think it is unbiased.
  • i'll let you know it doesnt start till begining feb but mean while i'll read books and aparently they say to read quality news papers in prep for all the studing.towards a science degree so should be unbiased, hope lots of info to take in. #:S :)))
  • Good morning, I have been running an experiment, for the last year or so. With pillows.

What I have found is that when I sleep on my back, my neck aches terribly. That is if I can sleep all night at all.

If I start to sleep on my back, and not use a pillow, I might need one under my legs, but I wake in the morning, most of the time not having moved much, during the night.

I am a light sleeper - so when I wake and must roll myself onto my side - I grab the pillow and pull it under my head. Should I move back - onto my back again, I shove it out of my way again.

Results - over a 30 day period, I get pretty crippled having the pillow under my neck all of the time. The 30 days I practice not having the pillow under me, when on my back, I wake more rested - and in less neck pain.

Give it a try and see what happens for you. We are conditioned to use pillows in our beds all the time. But what if it throws me off too much?

• You guys are right about the importance of diet and
    may be interested in a Youtube that I've come across. Search Youtube on "Pain and Inflammation Lecture". It's a very good discussion on the effects of diet on pain.