Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sacroiliac joint pain

piercealisonppiercealison Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Lower Back Pain
hello everybody. My name is Ally. I had a low back injury almost two years ago partially due to a fall, and partially due to an abnormal walking gait that I have had for years.(my left leg is shorter)
Since then, I have been through a lot which led to a proper diagnosis and treatment.I went through facet, and epideral injections and finally si injections. for me they were purely diagnostic because the never lasted more than 24 hours.
This led me to my orthopedic Dr. down at UCLA school of medicine. many developments have occured in the field of SI fusions(whichI undego in march of 2011) and I wanted to hear anyone's input from a similar procedure?

• Hi...and welcome to the forum. I had my right SI joint fusion surgery in Apr 2009. It has reduced the discomfort and pain by 50% and sometimes I have no pain. Range of motion is still diminshed, Like I can't lift my leg more than about 6 inches. I do still rely on pain meds...but no where near the levels pre surgery. In my own understanding of how my body was prior to the rear end collison that put this "condition" in motion, had I been diagnosed more quickly that the 2-1/2 yrs it took (perhaps the work comp system and the stigma of going to docs who avoid car crash injuries to avoid the attached strings that go with that situation ~X( ) I would have been able to recover. But no doubt the surgery has helped me...even tho it couldn't FIX me.
    Feel free to PM here if I can help you with any other questions you may have.
  • Thank you so much for getting in touch with me. M y surgery is scheduled for March 17 2011 at UCLA med center in California. The procedure is done using implants made by SI-bone. you can see how the procedure is done at www.sibone.com The fixation is supposed to be much stronger, there is no need for a bone graft and there is only a 1-2 day hospital stay.
    None the less, I know that I will have a challenging recovery ahead of me. I have an abnormal walking gait due to a head injury that I had when I was 16. As a result, I am extremely offbalance and I have left sided weakness. When I fell, I injured my right side(my only good side!)
    I imagine that the normal person would get around with crutches following surgery but I dont have that option because of my balance issues
    . My insurance company bought me a motorized wheelchair that tilts back and removes pressure off my SI joints. Without that it would probably be a lot of bedrest.
    Hey, you said that you can only lift your leg 6 inches off the ground. Is than simply because of the fusion? what happened in your car accident? And is only one SI joint affected? what hospital did you go to have your arthrodesis? And would you do it again?
    please write soon-sincerely,Alison
  • I had my right SI joint fused using the SI Bone technique. From what I have seen of my surgeon's other patients, they have had a quick recovery. My recovery has been complicated by the fact that my spine is fused from T9-S1. I still have numbness in the rt. buttock, in the saddle area. Does anyone else have problems with numbness? I was hoping it would go away after surgery. It is painful to sit, because I have pain in the ishial tuberosity (sit bone). Does anyone have these problems?
    Thank you for any input.
This discussion has been closed.