Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Another poll:how long for consultation and surgery?

ouch2oouch2 Posts: 1,270
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:48 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I was wondering how long everyone waited for their consultation with their surgeon and from then how long until they had their surgery?

me---There is a 1-2 year wait to see surgeon ~X( thinking of other options

>:D< Karen
>:D< >:-D< : Karen
L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
adr L5-S1 Feb 2012

• I'm not sure where you are located that there is such a long wait. I think the longest I waited for an initial consultation was between two and three months....then it was three weeks to get in for surgery. Of course if the surgery is deemed an emergency, it would be done immediately.
  • Hi Karen - It depends on the doctor you are going to see. I know here in Toronto you can wait 6-12 months depending on your MRI or CT results.

Hope that helps..

• I am in Ontario Canada.Looove my Country...just not the wait times.
    Lisa Rachel and anyone else how long were your wait times?
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • My GP referred me late September 2009. I had my first consultation with the surgeon in November. After many consultations, x-rays, MRI's, discogram etc, I had surgery in July 2010. Considering this was all on the National Health Service, I think it was very quick! When the NHS works, it's brilliant.

By the way, I've just been to the hospital today for a different problem. I've got to have an operation on my elbow and I've provisionally been given 14 December - which is amazingly quick on the NHS!
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • In the US, you have tons of options, but of course the most in demand doctors are the longest wait. I started trying to see the doctor in July, finally saw him in September, surgery in December.

I could have gotten in much sooner if I was willing to change doctors.
  • I did not have a wait time because I was a trauma patient. This surgery I'm going to have in Dec, I only waited 2 months. Falling off a cliff in France makes me special :)

Do you have an ortho? The wait times, also depends what hospital you would be in too.

• I only waited for 3 weeks to see my surgeon on the NHS after being referred to him.
    That was because my referring doctor had offered an appointment with him over a year before. I had declined, insisting that I wasn't intending to have surgery. Once I got desperate, she said that I had already done my waiting and got me an appointment with his monthly problem patient clinic.

He told me that I needed surgery, or would end up in a wheelchair. I decided to have the surgery privately and was having it within the month.

Now however, I am having a totally different story.
    I was referred to a neurosurgeon by my GP on 10th August for problems in my neck. My appointment was sent after about 6 weeks, for 15th March 2011!! That is 31 weeks after referral!
    My physiotherapist contacted them and expressed his concern at me having to wait for so long, due to symptoms I am having.
    I was then sent an MRI appointment within 3 weeks. Now I am having to wait for the March appointment to get the results of the scan. I am assuming that the surgeon has looked at the scan and things are not too bad, so there is no hurry.

In the UK there is supposed to be an 18 week rule from referral to treatment. That includes seeing the consultant and having any necessary tests, and then whatever treatment is necessary.

• For my C5/6 consult to surgery, 3 weeks. C6/7 consult to surgery, 2 weeks. For my Ulnar transposition and Guyon's consult to surgery 2.5 weeks...!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Jellyhall, it sounds like the wait in the UK is pretty much the same as here in Canada at times.I know that our health care systems are similar. I know when I was referred to my orthopeodic surgeon it was only about a three week wait. That is why I was so
    shocked when I called the nuerosurgeon to see if she received the referal and could get me in soon.Only to hear on the answering machine 1-2 years.
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Your problem could get really serious in that time!
    I have been told that there is an accute shortage of neurosurgeons, which is why the wait is so long.
    I guess, if our symptoms get worse and turn into red flag symptoms, they would see us sooner.

You never know, having to wait for so long may mean that our symptoms fade away!! I wish!!
  • Initial visit was in early November and then we waited until June for the operation. However, we did our research and wanted the best surgeon we could find and that meant a long wait. Worth it though as hubby walked out with no pain at all and he had been told he was going to be in wheelchair within the year.
  • I want to have the best surgeon, and have heard good things about this one...however I can't wait that long...pain is increasing and numbness. My doc. set my whole file and mri disc, hoping that it will get me in sooner than just asking for a referal. fingers crossed.
    >:D< Karen
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I don't think the NHS has the 18 week rule any more. I think this all went out the window when the new coalition Government took over and they started talking about all the cut-backs etc. Perhaps some hospitals are still working to this, I don't know. You may want to check this out with your own hospital - I hope I'm wrong.

Although the Government said that funding to the health and education services wasn't affected by the cuts, that's not true at all.

You'll probably find that your local school is still talking of ways to reduce spending (like our local schools are). It's diabolical. I don't want to get talking politics, it just makes me angry!!
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Jellyhall that is appauling but I have to say I'm not at all supprised the NHS (especially down south) seems to be overloaded and useless.

When I first has my accident my doctor put me in for an Xray (thought I had a compress fracure) and it took 6 weeks, luckily I did not have a fracture. Then I was refered to PM...waited for another 8 weeks and I can tell you the appointment was NOT worth the wait either!

I ended up going private too. Consultation to surgery 2 months.
  • I waited just over a year to see my surgeon then just over another year to have the surgery done and then it was only because i had gotten so bad in the mean time that i ended up in the hospital,they couldn't control my pain with IV meds. so they sedated me.My surgeon found out about it and a few days later i was in the operating room.

• from what I can find out, the 18 week rule is still supposed to be aimed for, but there is no performance management of it any more.

Certainly my physiotherapist says that both the hospitals that he works in are working to the 18 week rule. He told me that it is usually waiting for an MRI scan that delays things and makes things go over this time schedule.

Today, a friend of mine who had scoliosis surgery over 20 years ago, but is now having numbness in her toes, was talking about her experience. She had an MRI scan to try to find out what is causing this numbness, and had an appointment on 29th April to get the results. Now, since the announcement of the Royal wedding and the Bank Holiday, she has had a letter changing the appointment to a day in July!!!

Tammy, I think that with these long waits, what is often the outcome is that either the problem disappears or gets so bad that we become an emergency!

Have a good, comfortable day everyone :H
  • I was diagnoised in feb 2008 with my probelm. I've had 2 mri's , one CT scan , 3 months intensive PT 2 spinal injections. Finally they decided I needed surgery April 2010 ,and had my op 12th of October !!!!I've been off work since August 2009 ! So yes the NHS has been frustratling slow !