Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 weeks post-op right leg spasms and lower back pain LONG

minihorsemminihorse Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone, I recently has a TLIF on October 11th, on L3-4 with a 2 day hospital stay. I know that all the muscles and nerves were compromised during the surgery. Is it normal at 7 wks. to have right lower (calf)spasms that last all day. Walking didn't create much relief so the NS put me on a 6 day steroidpak. That did the trick and things were good for a few days. I know that it helped with the swelling in the nerves but at this point they have come back but not as bad.

I also have pain around the incision area on the left side which is the opposite side that they worked through (does that make sense :/ ) the right side is not sore but the left side of my back down to my butt is numb. I am also having left side hip pains. No pains in the legs on the left side. Why is that? :? I feel like there is a brick in my back and I walk hunched over, though my husband says I don't. I was wearing a soft corset brace. I have been driving but no more than a half and hour each trip. I get a spasm in my right leg while driving, so I have been sitting on a pillow in the car to soften my tush. :|

I go back next week for my 8 wk post-op. I am taking Tramadol 50 mg 3 x a day/and Robaxin 3 x a day for the spasms. I also take a hydrocodone at bedtime so I can get some sleep as I wake up with the spasms. I have been active in that I walk everyday, do the everyday chores as laundry, taking the dog out, feeding my horse going grocery shopping, with my son who carries everything in and puts the groceries away (he is a great help at 14 yrs old) =D> . but no lifting over 10 pds.

I know that eveyone is different, but has any one had any experiences like me, and how did you deal with it. I am going nuts because I can't do to much and when I do, do too much I pay for it. No happy medium with me #o :W

Thanks for letting me share. Chris

• I sounds like you're quite busy doing a lot after your surgery. Do you use a walker to keep yourself upright? Anyway, I haven't had surgery but hope you're appointment with your Surgeon goes well next week and let your Dr. know of your concerns. Hopefully another member who had surgery may help. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN