Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical injections....

PollyRPPollyR Posts: 411
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Spinal Injections
Hello Everyone...i posted about this in the Cervical section before I remembered bout the Injection section...sorry for that!!

I would like to know any and all info on Cervical injections.

Where did you get them at?

Did it hurt?

What did you get them for?

What kind did you get?

Did it help?

I am supposed to be getting them done on the 16th of this month, if I dont have any herniations, at C-6, 7 and 8. I am a little nervous, i have only had the ESI in the lumbar area done.

• Hi Polly. I have had many ESIs and TPIs to treat cervical issues and hip pain.

TPIs are not painful and were spread out mainly for muscular pain and spasm across the neck and shoulder area. I can't complain about these injections, and prefer them to ESIs because less risk and because they did give my muscles quite a bit of relief.

I've had ESIs in both my hips and neck. The hip injection was to treat BURSAE and was a success immediately. I'm pretty sure the lidocaine made it an immediate success, but I have to say that I limped into that surgical suite and walked out pain free in the hip.That inj. worked for many months. In my neck they were pretty painful during the actual inj.,and was sore for a day, and I can't really say that they were ever really *worth* it in my neck.. but I can never be positive because I always end up taking a bit more medication for a couple of days after those.

I am not a fan of ESIs and only get them as a last resort. Whenever I had the hip done I did moan at one point and the nurse said that "this is what we call *dancing on your pain* because we know that we found the sweet spot." Well, I wonder if that is why the hip inj. was so successful, because yes the inj did hurt, but like I said it worked too. I think if they found those *sweet spots* in our necks, exact source or areas of pain, that we would have successful outcomes with those shots too. I think this just from my communication with my Dr,his nurse and the whole hip thing. I really hope that yours works and that you get some relief.
  • Hello Robin thank you for posting a comment....I really appreciate it. This neck thing is new to me...lol...

My Dr said to prepare for injections, something about the base of my cervical area or some such thing, at my next apt cause he had not gotten the results from the MRI yet. He said that if there was herniations then we would go a differant route. I am super nervous cause my lumbar epidural hurt like a bad boy!! and with the cervical area being much smaller I am just scared. All this neck stuff is from a MVA over 3 weeks ago...:(
  • Well Polly, I have had lumbar pain, but never injections in the lumbar. So I will say this just from my own point of view (for what it's worth). Whenever I was having my ESIs I was glad that they were not being done in my lumbar area, and this is why.. whenever I sit, stand, bend, walk, whatever I do.. I seem to be able to keep my neck wherever I want it. With my lower back, whenever it hurts I don't have as much control over it. It seems to have to *move* more, if you know what I mean?

Sometimes-like tonight, I'm just not that articulate, but I hope you get my meaning.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I have had numerous esi injections in the neck. It is not a very comfortable injection but also not the worst I have ever had. My pain doc always gave me a Valium and a Vicodin prior to the injection and then if I still had pain following the injection would give me another Vicodin for the trip home. I would be sore, but still able to work. Just follow the instructions your doctor gives you following the injection and use plenty of ice afterwards to keep the swelling to a minimal.
  • Hello Susan, thank you for the info...it does help!! I am just being a whimp with being so nervous...I am trying NOT to be!! What else can you tell me about your cervical experiences?? You obviously have alot of knowledge!!

• Can you please enlighten me as to what TPIs are?
    I don't think I have heard of them before. (Unless I am having a 'senior' moment!)
  • Hello Jelly...I think it stands for Trigger Point Injections....I think..LOL:)
  • Do you know what type of injection your doctor is thinking of doing?

I haven't had any injections. By the time I had an MRI scan of my lumbar spine, they said it was too late as there was so much stenosis that they couldn't treat it. I had a fusion, which has helped a lot. :-)

• Hey Jelly....no I wont know anything till I go in on the 16th....6 more days till I find out if there are any herniations. If there ARE herniations the Dr said no injections, those are if there are NONE...I dont understand it much but I have been a little confused by the whole neck thing!!

Oh and I have also been getting choked on little bits of food....quite often here lately...kinda scary!!