Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain in sciatic and saccrum after L4and 5 Fusion

Laurie AnnLLaurie Ann Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone had pain after surgery in these areas? I am post surgery by 2 years!
advertisement

Comments

• With any surgery you have pain. I'm only coming up on 1 year after surgery.

My pain is not to bad unless I do somethign that i should not. like try to sit on the floor. and not think about doing it safely. LOL

You can always call your doctor and ask them about it. I was told that in the future I will have to have a nother surgery to fix more of my back due to I'm so young.

But I still call the Doctor every so often just to be sure that stuff is ok that i feel or don't feel.

I have to call my doctor on Monday for a problem of not having feeling.

kara
  • I have posted about the very same thing not so long ago.

I had a 2-level fusion in July 2010 (L4-L5, L5-S1) and, although the original back pain seems to have improved, I have experienced (what I called) cocyx pain after sitting down. I've had this for about 3 months now and it's so painful.

At first I thought I was sitting down for too long, but now I believe that I'm either sitting in the wrong position, or, that my spine dynamics have been 'changed' during fusion surgery (is this possible?). Obviously, I don't know but I'm having an MRI in January so they can find out if anything is amiss there.

It's really strange though because I can sit with no pain at all, but as soon as I move to get up the very base of my spine is so painful, it takes my breath away sometimes - the odd thing is that my butt feels very numb at the same time.

I'm still waking up at night with back pain, which is disappointing, and if I'm constipated, pre-menstrual or have wind or anything like that, my back and sciatic pain is markedly increased. I'm now having to take pain meds on a daily basis :(

I hope you can find out what's causing your pain, because after 2 years you would have thought everything would have settled down by now. I presume you have totally 'fused' now?

If you get any answers, perhaps you can share them with us because I personally would be interested to read them.
    SUE
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • I feel like I am in the exact same boat. it is extremely disheartening to have gone through a surgery like a lumbar fusion( I had L4 -S1 fused) 9 months ago, and all of its misery to still be continually in pain. Some of both of your symptoms sound just like mine, and I am also on pain meds and muscle relaxers daily. I was just told recently by my new physical therapist that I have SI dysfunction. Which is basically when the joint connecting the sacrum and Ilic(hip) bone has a constant inflammation. It has similar symptoms to a herniated disk, so its confusing to me. I just havent felt any relief since my fusion. and that joint may be the cause. Maybe you should look into it. common symptoms are trouble putting on shoes or socks, or lifting your leg to put on pants, or extreme discomfort when sitting, stiffness, burning sensation, and nerve pain through buttocks legs and feet. pain is so wearing on a person..I hope we can all find relief. Jessica
  • i had alif nov 1 st and im still in pain and cant sit for long and have pain down my hinny all the way down my leg to top of my foot ns says that he thinks it caused by scar tissue and tarlov cysts its awful but i do find it i put a hard pillow behind my back and i sit off to my right hip it takes alot of it away
advertisement