Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One Week Today and One Leg wants to fall off

preeseppreese Posts: 160
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my L5-S1 fusion a week ago today and despite some complications with the method itself, I was feeling pretty good good over the weekend until I started getting some severe charley horse pains in left leg calf (note this was one of the intiial symptons that had me visiting a surgeon) I haven't been sleeping too great, but that I had also figured would pass as time healed.

Took all of my meds last night, LA Morphine, vicodine and valium in hopes of getting a good sleep but unfurtunately I was away an hour and a half later and spent most of the night in tears with the Charlie Hourses.

I am eating several bananas a day, taking potaassium, calcium and magnesium supplements and welcome any other ideas that might give me some relief! so thank you in advance for any suggestions you might have!

• Hi Patti,

I am going threw the same thing! I had L1 L2 L3 L4 fusion 2 weeks ago! My legs are so sore! Ive tried baths heating pads massages and it's only helps for a min or two!

I've been told this is very normal and it will get better!! when, I don't know....

• Patti,

Just spoke to the orthopetic on-call at my hospital and he told me this was pretty normal as long as you can walk and not losing any bladder and bowel function!
    I am beside muself with this pain!! it's so annoying.. I hope you have gotten some relief by now....

• Hi LIsa,

Thanks for checking that out - I am rapidly learning that everything in post surgery life is a new normal - not of course the kind of normal that anyone could tellyou much about though! I would really like to call and tell them that I have a goldfish swimming in my cheek and ask what I should do - I have little doubt that as long as the golfish is signing Chrstmas Christmas music, it would be considered normal:)
  • Tough to follow, but I understand your point. Doesn't matter what you feel after a fusion, the first words out of their mouth is that is normal.

I think "that is normal" means "We aren't doing anything else until we're sure it doesn't go away on it's own."

Sorry for being bitter. But I had a similar situation that led me to a fusion, all because the doc said I will start to feel better a few weeks back to work.
  • I had the same thing with my PLIF two years ago. My surgeon told me it was hamstrings tight from surgery and lack of exercise. He had me doing stretches with pointing my toes and rolling my ankles. So try stretching your hamstrings. Also, I will try the goldfish one, it is hilarious!
  • or I will be crying alot!!!! My husband is double checking the christmas cards for the kids - the Valium has made me VERY generous It seems - I love them all but not THAT much:)
  • Lol, I wish I had some Valium for my BF... =))
  • walking helps with the leg cramps more than stretching or anything else you can do. i can't stress it enough for rehab. it is the best thing you can do. If you live in cold climate buy a treadmill and walk on that. Also walk stairs the up and down strenthens the back and stomach muscles.
    4 level posterolateral fusion L2-S1 with rods and screws and cadaver bone. Spondylolisthesis, spinal stenosis, scoliosis, sciatica, DDD, facet disease and arthritis. September 2002