Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5-6 stenosis, saw neurosurgeon

diane54ddiane54 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had an updated MRI on Tuesday and then followed up with neurosurgeon afterwards. I have minimal disc disease that is causing me a lot of pain and after a year of PT, 3 epidural injections, massage therapy etc. Neurosurgeon has recommended a C5-6 foraminotomy in late April. (this is when my new FMLA time kicks in and I can take 4 weeks off if need be). I am lucky in that I work from home at a desk job so no need to commute to work and be on my feet all day.

The doc said she sometimes discharges the same day as the procedure but would prefer to keep me for one night, possibly 2 to keep the pain under control. She didn't really give me a time for being off work, just said "everyone is different" and she will authorize what I feel I need.

I'm healthy, not overweight and active. Just wondering if realistically I could expect to go back to work in 2 weeks and in 4 weeks plan a trip to Las Vegas.

Also, last week I had an epidural injecion as a diagnostic tool in the C5-6 area and my pain is totally gone, so she said that would be a good indication that my surgery would be successful.

Would love to hear anyone else's experience with recovery from a cervical foramintomy. Thanks! This forum is great.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    The up side of my foraminotomy is it did help the pain from stenosis, the down side is it was more painful than the acdf which is anterior (front) of the neck. Take the 2 nights for the comfort of the movable bed, IV medications, and monitoring. I really like that she's acknowledged this is painful.

I stayed in the hospital one night, had no brace (he did recommend I wear my old one from 2006 home if I had it and I did). I was out of work 7 week BUT I worked in a 2 person office and when ready to return around 4 weeks my company preferred I stay out 3 more weeks as my coworker was going on vacation and I'd have no one in the office with me. I worked in insurance BUT they didn't want me working alone so I didn't have to worry about lifting, pushing, pulling, etc. If UPS delivered two 25 lb boxes I had to get into them, if we prepared proposals to be sent I had to do it, etc. If I stayed out they'd relegate duties to another office until both my coworker and I were back in our office. (I thought a lay off was pending but turns out it wasn't)

Pain meds (percocet) were important but more important were muscle relaxers! They do dissect through muscles so I found muscle relaxers more necessary than just pain medications.

What type of work do you do? How will you travel to Vegas?

p.s. don't let my surgical history scare you, I have lax ligaments and tendons so joints (spine, knees, feet, etc) don't hold together well)

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos