Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery Tomorrow 1/18

gregtxggregtx Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:49 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It's finally here and the reality and nerves are kicking in big time. Checkin is at 6am and surgery at 7:30. Anterior/Posteriorlateral Fusion with fixation L4-5-S1

I have been reading alot of posts and the "must have" lists so I think I'm going to have everything ready. I live alone so trying to get all my needed items in order and last minute house cleaning so the only help I will need from anyone is a ride home...I'm driving myself. I have some issues with alot of my "friends" since this whole episode began...what it boild down to is they are tired of hearing about the "back thing". Well guess what, I AM TOO!!!...but it doesn't make my back or me feel any better! Anyway, I am determined to take care of most all of my needs and if I need help with something, I will pay for it to get done. I can thank the f***** up W/C system in Texas for most of my problems...with there purposeful delaying of services. I have been of f work since June '09 and just now getting the surgery I need. The last treatment I had was a facet block 8 months ago.

Anyway, what do I really need to take with me to the hospital? I'm thinking a few pairs of underware, pajamas, change of cloths for ride home and toothbrush and paste, deodorant. Can you take a shower while in there?...and if so do I need to bring soap and shampoo?

Thanks everyone for your wealth of information/advice I have found here at spine-health. I have learned so much reading through the many posts.

Wish me luck tomorrow.!.. I will see yall on the other side!

Greg
advertisement

Comments

• I just wanted to wish you all the best. After recovery from surgery I hope you new life will begin. On the things to take into hospital you may find you need less than you think. I'm sure others will post with their experiences.

Good luck :D
  • Wanted to wish you all the best tomorrow. You have been waiting a long time for this. I am also waiting for fusion L5/S1 probable L4/L5, so will be very interested to hear about how you do and your recovery. I am sorry that your friends are not understanding anymore, that is tough. We, your spiney friends will be here for you as you have your surgery and as you recover on the other side. Please be careful when you get home to get lots of rest, no BLT and don't hestitate to get help with things you need. Will be thinking of you tomorrow.
    gentle >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi Greg, just saw your new post and wanted to wish you all the very best for tomorrow. I am 34 years old and also had fusion at L4, L5 and S1 seven months ago now, and can remember the terror I was feeling just before I went into hospital. It's a big scary thing ahead of you and a hard slog, but given what you've already been through, it will be the start of a new and hopefully much more pain free chapter in your life :) Not sure how it will work over there as I am in the UK, but I wasn't able to shower in hospital as was not allowed to get my back wet for two weeks (felt disgusting! had to have washes at sink in hospital!) I would take anything you can to make yourself feel as comfortable as possible, even baby wipes are good for wiping over your face etc as you could be stuck in bed a bit? Definitely tooth stuff, clean clothes, pj's, loungewear BUT I actually couldn't even wear PJ's as had a catheter for three days (not sure how they deal with this issue with men tho so probably ignore me here)! You definitely find out who your real friends are at times like these (while you wait for and recover from surgery), as so many people just dismiss what we have as back pain..... what they don't get is that this is literally ruining our lives and every moment of every day is painful in one way or another. I am still recovering, still having setbacks, and although it IS hard, the surgery is the best option because we can't keep living in constant agony and all doped up on meds unable to have a normal life! I am sending you good luck vibes all the way over from the UK...... get well soon and take care, make sure you ask LOTS of questions in hospital before you're discharged and have adequate pain relief (also, I got sent home with a "lovely" frame that went round our toilet for several weeks as it is otherwise impossible to get on and off there, so definitely ask for one of those)! All the very best and take care, your fellow L4/L5/S1 fusion buddy in the U.K, Lucy :)
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I wish you the best of luck on your surgery and hopefully the nightmare will end for you. The only thing I can think of that I really needed at the hospital that you havent mentioned is a pair of slip on shoes. A pair of comy sweats and the slip on shoes will make the ride home comfortable. Keep us posted on the outcome of your surgery and GOOD LUCK. Myself after my back surgery, when I woke up I felt better, leg pain was GONE. Of course I had surgical pain but that was well controlled with meds. As far as a shower, I was only in the hospital 1 day so I waited until I was home for the shower. See ya on the other side.
    Susan
  • I hope all goes well Greg - you won't need much in the hospital as others have said but I hope you have a backup plan in place for help once you get home. I had a very similar surgery and after five days in the hospital, I still needed alot of help once I got home.

For example - My husband kept track of my pain meds so I stayed in front of them - brought me water and food and helped me to move as I had alot of difficulty getting up and down and needed my walker moving around.

Hope all goes well!
    Patti
  • While in the hospital you really don't need much, as the other posters have said. For my ALIF last year I brought 1 pair (was only there 2 days) loose flannel pjs, button front (easier to get on/off). You might not feel like showering, but if you do the hospital should have the basic toiletries for you. Baby wipes are great, you can "wash" your hands, face or body with them. Slipper socks, chap stick, gum.

Good luck tommorow, its OK to be nervous. When you get to the hospital you can ask them for a sedative to help with your nerves. As for your "friends", sorry about that. Unfortunately lots of us find out who our true friends are when we have a long term health problem.

Let us know how you are doing when you can. We'll be here to help you in your recovery.

Lisa
  • Wishing you the best for your surgery tomorrow.

Make sure that your pjs are big and baggy as often after the ALIF incision, there is swelling.

Do you have easy to prepare food in stock? Also things that will deal with any constipation you may have!

Sort out your clothes and other things needing daily access, so they are up at waist level. I opened a top drawer and put a selection of clothes in that would cover several days, and left the drawer open so I didn't have to pull on it (that may well be painful).

Have you got things to pass the time once you are home and feeling a bit better? Books? DVDs? music etc?

I will be looking forward to hearing that you are home again and well on the way to a better future. :-)

Once you are over on this side of surgery, the relief that it is over is wonderful. :D
  • Hope the best for you. Let us know how you are doing after you recover for a while.
  • Best of luck, you´ll enjoy the time without any pain.
    Keep us posted!
  • Best of luck tomorrow looks like ya have everything your gonna need slip on shoes a must have and comfy clothes to come home in!.....i know how it is with so called friends!....you really do find out who the true ones are!.....you have all of us here if you need to vent!...will be thinking of you tomorrow! i had alif nov 1 st and if they say you can go or stay in hospital
    stay as long as you can!.....so wish i could of brought my pain pump home with me!....amke sure ya get miralx works amazing god bless you will be praying for you
  • I hope all goes well with your surgery. Your >:D< true friends >:D< are on the SH Board. Keep us posted after you reach the other side. Essmoe
  • Best wishes.
    Sorry your friends aren't stepping up but perhaps they will come visit you in the hospital and realize their insensitivity.

You sound very well prepared!
  • Thanks to all of you...I feel much more at ease now. I have had a very busy day getting ready and totally exhausted now...just gotta do that one last pre-surgical requirement before bed...the flush!...ugh...

It's already 11pm here and I gotta be up at 3:30 to get to the hospital...I live about 1 1/2 hrs from Dallas...and giving myself extra time just in case...and I'm sure I will catch up on my missed sleep tonight!

Thanks again.....each and every one of you are absolutely wonderful! I will check in as soon as I can with an update...

Greg
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Hope all went well with your surgery and that you're resting comfortably in your room. Hope you can catch up on that lost sleep tonight.

Good luck
    Debbie
  • Was thinking of you today. You are on the other side now!Hope that they have you comfortable. Take it easy. We look forward to hearing from you when you are able.
    gentle >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I'm glad you're finally going to get some help. You really don't need to take much to the hospital. They give you just about everything you need. Take some comfy clothes for the ride home. If you have a grabber and maybe an elevated toilet seat for home, you ought to do well. I also live alone and I was fine by myself once I got back. My brother did stop in every few days to see if I needed anything, but I was okay.

Best wishes to you tomorrow. You'll be in my thoughts.

Linda
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Hi Greg,

Welcome to the start of your recovery, I have everything crossed that your surgery went well and that you're being well looked after in hospital on as much pain relief as possible! Have just seen above that Linda mentioned needing a grabber - good call - mine was very valuable to me post surgery! Also, I know you mentioned you will mostly be home alone but if when you have visitors you ask them to leave essentials (drinks etc) out for you at waist height, this shuld also be a great help (my husband used to leave me a little stash of supplies on the kitchen counter when he went off to work each day, kind of like leaving food our for a dog or cat haha)! Anyway, I hope that you're reading this comfortably and wish you all the best for a speedy and successful recovery :) It's a hard slog but you're in the right place here as we all understand how you feel EXACTLY! Take care, Lucy :)

• I hope that the road will be smooth and not too long.

Don't take any detours by breaking the rules!
    You want to keep this as straight forward as possible.

Looking forward to hearing how you are doing, once you are able to post. :-)
advertisement