Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF pain

centccent Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had an ACDF two weeks ago. After surgery I had an awful headache and pain between the shoulder blades. The headache went away with tylenol but the pain between the shoulder blades has been almost constant. The doctor said it is probably due to him stretching the spine during surgery and should get better. Has anyone else's doctor told them it was due to stretching during surgery? Did your pain eventually go away?

Thank you for your help

• Cent,

First off, Welcome to Spine Health!! I've had two cervical fusions, and more on the way. What you're describing could also be muscle spasms. When any part of the spine is fused, the rest of the spine/muscles/body has to adjust to the 'new you.'

It is not uncommon to have mechanical or muscular pain for months after surgery. 1 level or multi level, that is a lot for your body to adapt to. Your dynamics, and spinal loading has changed. Also too, being that fresh out of surgery, your body is probably still recovering from the trauma induced by the surgery. It should slowly start getting better. Of course, like you did...if in doubt, call your surgeon. Most of our concerns fortunately are transient, but for those that aren't, our doctors will know. Please keep us posted, and again, Welcome aboard!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I have had 5 neck surgeries and each one healed differently. You are so early in your recovery and really need to give it more time. With all my surgeries I had what you are describing. The positions we are put in during surgery can cause alot of problems. What worked best for me was muscle relaxers and heat. Upon awaking from one surgery my nose was black and blue so I often wonder if they dropped me while in the O.R. Hope you feel better soon