Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Enjoying Life with Chronic Pain

coyotewildwomanccoyotewildwoman Posts: 130
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Chronic Pain

Hopefully for most of you, at some point the chronic pain thing will end. But for me, unless some miracle cure comes along, and I can get a new body or at least a new spine- I doubt I will ever be totally out of chronic pain. Costco will probably be the first company to offer them ;}

I am at a place of acceptance, to some degree, and also wanting to create a plan where my chronic pain does not destroy or seriously impair the happiness and joy in my life. I am in my late 40's and intend to enjoy the rest of my days on this earth. Carpe Diem!

Yes, I get depressed, and angry and frustrated, all the normal stuff, and I allow my self to feel very sorry for myself for AWHILE. Dwelling in the hole does not work for me, personally, but everyone has their own process.

I am a fixer and doer and I can't do anything to totally fix this- so it really p*sses me off. So what, I better get over it to some extent, because that isn't working staying angry and depressed. It just drives people away and makes me more upset and unhappy. Time for a change.

But it is normal for chronic pain user to feel depressed and all sorts of other negative emotions from time to time- who wouldn't?

So what do we do with this crap? Live with it? I don't have answers, but I have lots of questions.. and I won't settle.

I have read lots of books ( and gotten advice from everyone) about doing this and trying that.. I could (and have) spend my life running to doctors, having surgeries, doing alternative medicine. I have done that route and will continue with a defined plan that fits around the things I love to do, but it is not going to be my life.

I am not saying that this does have a part in my plan- in fact I am more interested in integrative medicine, which seems to be catching on finally- Harvard and Duke have a program now.

I am also very committed in how to create a great life with what challenges I have before me. How can I use what is going on with me to help others, to help myself? How can I look at it in a different way? What do I need to do to be happy, because I deserve happiness too.

Lots of questions- lots of thoughts- if anyone cares to share their thoughts and ways of coping or whatever comes to mind that would be great. I love the support and conversation.

• "Pain Has an Element of Blank"
    Emily Dickinson

Pain has an element of blank;
    It cannot recollect
    When it began, or if there were
    A day when it was not.

It has no future but itself,
    Its infinite realms contain
    Its past, enlightened to perceive
    New periods of pain.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    but sometimes we all deal with things differently.
    The most important thing is to always be positive.
    Sure, there will be some down days, but its up to you to turn that around.

I think anyone who has been dealing with chronic pain should read this piece. We can not copy it here, since we need the author's permission first.

But just go into your browser and search
    The Spoon Theory

You want the piece that was written by Christine Miserandino
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • The curse of chronic pain is if you could do things to keep you busy then the pain would not be on your mind all the time. But there are so many things I can't do anymore because it will make the pain worse.

Any kind of distraction helps, especially if it requires complete concentration. Sometimes even a computer game can get my mind off it for a while.

I used to practic yoga and meditation but I can't even sit down for a minute now without constantly adjusting my position.
  • When I was first injured 3 years ago I talked to a Counselor, well online email messaged her and it helped to talk about it with a Professional and get some helpful feedback and so I could vent out this frustrated feeling of leaving my job and a different painful lifestyle change. Distraction does help and finding what I can do with myself that's positive. I have a couple of exercise pieces close by for strengthening my arms and legs and get out some anger and frustration without hurting myself. I was in my late 40's also when I was injured and the only thing that helped was walking but it's too hard to walk in the winter time so I'm still looking for indoor distractions right now. It helps to come here or another site I go to to get some support and see how other people manage this. Still learning too. Thinking of you and praying we will get out of this one day and start living a manageable life. TC. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm finding it very hard to enjoy life now. I want to but the pain consumes me so much of the time. I find the only time I'm not in a lot of pain is when I'm strung out on pain medication (I hate that feeling too) or drinking; also not ideal as I still can't do things I enjoy. I need to pick up some of my hobbies that don't require physical activity and can be done lying down. Crocheting is not exactly exciting but I guess its time to learn to find joy in simple activities.

Dilauro thank you so much for that nudge to the Spoon Theory, it describes things so perfectly and makes so much sense.
This discussion has been closed.