Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

heckhheck Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Alternative Treatments
i would like to learn more about biomachinics and alignment, does any body know of any good book to read about this,, as i would like to learn how to line myself up a bit better in between pt visits.

• Hi - I don't know about biomechanics specifically, however, I did a type of physical therapy called Feldenkrais, which is partly based on theories of biomechanics. Any kind of pressure or movement causes the pain in my back to increase, and whenever I have done PT (I've had about 3 sets of PT since I hurt my back) I end up hurting my back again (having an acute episode) and increasing my pain.

Feldenkrais also ended up hurting my back if I did too much of it - but it is all based on aligning your body, and very small movements. So I still use it to find comfortable positions - and when I'm feeling out of sorts, I will lie down and really relax and work out how to position my body to reduce the pain. It is really helpful - kind of meditative - and the goal is not like regular PT of "no pain, no gain", but more that you "reduce the work" and "reduce the tension" in your body.

I don't know any books on the subject, but you could Google "Feldenkrais" and there are links that can tell you more about it. You really need a therapist to teach you though (they taught me, plus taped the sessions so I can do them at home).

I remember going into the center some days and feeling so "out of sorts" - not just the pain in my back, but I felt like all the ligaments in my body were tugging - and the therapist would get me lying down and position me, and do a few movements - and I would leave so relaxed and the tension gone from my body.

Good luck!