Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ow Ow OwOOw Ow Ow Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:50 AM in Pain Medications
I've recently been put on Zanaflex for lower back pain/muscle spasms. So far I've found the medication to be a fairly good one. It does make me tired, but that's a side effect I can deal with to be out of pain.

The question I have is regarding dosage. I know you are all not doctors, but if you can share your experience/advice with me it would be most appreciated.

I have been prescribed 4mg capsules. The directions I've received are to have one two times a day up to two two times a day. I've been doing some searching on this medication and I noticed that dosage should be titrated, and the medication can be taken every 8 hours up to 3 times a day.

I've already taken two pills today, tolerated well it seems. They did make me tired, but that's ok.

Does anyone have experience taking this 3 times a day? I'd like to take 1 every 8 hours and maybe skip the time I'm at work (because of sedation). However, 1 pill twice a day seems to suggest that I should start with one every 12 hours. Yet, 2 pills 2 times a day is a total of 4 pills in a day...

To sum this up: What did you all start with dosage wise, and has anyone started with 3 in a day? Thanks in advance for the help. Any other advice on this med would be most appreciated too!

• I started with 2 mg up to 3 times/day. That was later increased to 4 mg up to 3 times/day and then the final dosage is 4 mg up to 4 times/day. Thankfully I don't need it that often anymore, but have the option of taking it up to 4 times/day. I rarely experience any drowsiness from it unless I get really quiet. During my normal activities, it doesn't make me sleepy at all.
    That's my experience. My Zanaflex is in tablet form and I don't know how much that differs from the capsules. I found that it was not lasting for 8 hours, which is when he bumped me to 4 times/day.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    first contacting your doctor. Only they will be able to decide what and how you should take the medication.

Too many people get themselves into trouble by self - adjusting their medications
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I should have said that all of my increases were done by my doctor. I didn't do any adjustment on my own. With agreement from me, he increased the frequency of the medication rather than the strength because I felt that anymore at one time was going to make me too drowsy.
    Thanks for the reminder, Ron.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    I started with Zanaflex 2mg twice a day. After a while, my doctor increased that to 4mg twice a day.
    At one point, she suggested

- 4mg morning
    - 2mg afternoon
    - 4mg night

I found this to be too much for me. Along with all the other medications I was taking, this just put me too much out in left field.

Plus Zanaflex is a type of medication that can cause havoc with the liver. My doctor had me going for blood tests (specifically for liver functions) every 45 days.

I finally decided that Zanaflex, while it was the best muscle relaxer I have used, it was just wiping me out too much.

We switched to Soma, and now I am on Baclofen.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • for 2 years now. I really like it, but can only use it close to bedtime. Tried taking it at work once and almost fell asleep at my desk...was a heavy coffee day.:-) I only need to take 2mg to get a good nights sleep....if I take more (which I do sometimes) I have horrible nightmares.
  • I have been taking Zanaflex 4 mil tabs for about 2 weeks now, mainly for tightens and pain in the chest
    and the inability to sleep....around 3 tabs a day and I just quit. They feel exactly like opiate withdrawals, and the anxiety and insomnia are worse than ever, not to mention the pain! Bad Drug..hope this advice helps!
  • It's not a 'bad drug'. Not everyone's experience with it is the same, that's all. I've known a lot of people with chronic pain who have had good results with it.
  • You cant just quit many of the medications most of us take for our chronic pain. The statement that its a bad drug due to withdraws is an ignorant view of a medication and would leave us with only NSAID's and supplements as tools to treat our pain.

I have been taking Zanaflex on and off over the last two years and I have a hard time dealing with the sedating effects of it. It works great as a late evening/night med for me, but I dont take it during the day, unless its one of those really high pain days, when sleeping would be wanted....Mitch
  • I can't take it during the day, either. It's too sedating. It works well for me at night, and I find it helps me sleep just as well as a sleeping pill, as well as helping with the pain. I had a terrible dry mouth when I first started on it, but that went after a while.
  • And frankly this for me has been a terrific anti-spasm medication (and this is someone who after 2 fusions has tried all of them: baclofen-also good, skelaxin-not so good and Flexeril which was a decent medication)

Anyway zanaflex is a great medication and after a while the tiring side effects wear off. I took 4 per day and it made my spasms tolerable.

Hope this helps
  • DLMJOSLINDDLMJOSLIN Does it matter?Posts: 1
    I have been on this medication for about a year now. For insomnia. My doc slowly raised my dosage to 6mg 45mins before bed. Q Nightly. And it works like a charm. No drowsiness the following day and as a cherry topper if my back was hurting that day it treats it as well. The only thing that I have noticed that happens that I don't like it I'll occasionally have what I call a mentally slow day. I'll literally have a difficult time thinking and also speaking normally, it's not that I feel like I can't think. It just takes longer for my thoughts to all come together coherently. Now I take my medications exactly the way my doc instructed. But every now and then i guess they just hit me harder.