Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My latest instalment and I think I'm getting there.......

SueDSSueD Posts: 545
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Recovering from Surgery
If you've been following my experiences over the last year or so, you know that at times I've been in a right pickle.

Anyway, just to up-date you all (if you remember), I have been off work since I had the 2 level fusion last July. I did return to work in October, but after 2 weeks they sent me home. I've been on full pay ever since, which is such a relief, but of course, being stuck at home has done nothing for my confidence and I was in danger of turning into a 'blob' with not much to do.

Anyway, I went and saw my work's occupational health doctor earlier this week. He has suggested I have another 4 weeks off work to get acclimatised to the new medication (butrans patches) which I'm now back on unfortunately. My dose goes up again this Thursday and the doc thinks I should have time to fully adjust to this strong medication to make sure it doesn't impede my level of concentration etc. (Ha! My concentration level was at zero before I went back on the patches, but I didn't tell him that).

After that, I will return to work on a 4-week phased return. So there you have it - I am going back to work, there is a timescale in place now and I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I'll probably have some problems with my back because it comes with the nature of the job, but until I try it first, I'll never really know for sure. I'm the type of person who will try anything once, even if I fail, rather than not try it at all.

Also, I've committed myself to a 12 months contract by getting membership at the local swimming pool and gym. I'm being 'inducted' tomorrow morning and will have 2 further induction sessions before I can use the gym by myself. I will be given a programme tailored especially to me after we've discussed all the pro's and con's of using certain equipment and how they would be good/bad for my back etc. etc.

I'm really excited. I've been swimming tonight and done 30 lengths, which might not seem a lot to some of you, but I think it's really good for me personally. On Monday night I did FORTY - but it nearly killed me, ha!

Thanks for your positive support - although I don't always say it, Spine Health has been really good for me over the last few years. I know some of you have left SH and perhaps have come back, or have been here for years, or may be new to the forum, but you've all helped me out at times when our nearest and dearest haven't always understood what we've been going through. THANKS TO YOU ALL!!!!
2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!

• Sue,

So, so happy for you woman!! It's about time they got off their butts and realize what a resource you are for that job! Congrats!!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Good news. I hope the Butrans patch work for you, I know a few others who're using it and ave to get it increased weekly to the right level but hope you can adjust to the meds. Best wishes with the local gym and to me 30 laps is a lot after back surgery so take it easy. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I could do that in a hot tub and thats about it! Glad to hear that your exercising. It so helps the body produce some feel good juju. And of course work...Good on you to get back to using the noodle. I could use a job about now!
  • Sue it sounds like things are finally falling into their proper place and you're going to be able to go back to work. It sounds like everyone involved is trying to get things right so you'll be able to ease in and work up to your best!

The gym and pool sound grand... 30 lengths is awesome, never mind 40!! I'm jealous, but in reading your post, so happy for you! You "sound" happier and more positive!

Kudo's too to the docs for coming up with a plan to ease in over 4 weeks... it gives YOU the chance to see if you can do it without causing any issues For you! That is wonderful :)

Good luck and I hope you'll continue to keep us all posted on how things are progressing during your ease in period :)