Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical fusion C5-6-7-T1

huckabuckhhuckabuck Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had C5-6-7 fused anteriorly in 1993 with bone donated from my right hip. In 2000 I ended up in an emergency room with acute pain that started about C5-7 and extended around my left shoulder blade into my tricep and my 3 outside fingers were also numb. They did a laminectomy on C7-T1 and removed a frag of disc that was pushing on the cord. It was a little better but not much so a year later they went in anteriorly and fused C7-T1 with another graft from my hip and a small plate that only spanned C7-T1. I still have terrible pain most of the time with occasional flare ups that are excrutiating. I have been to see another surgeon and he thinks after looking at a new MRI and CT scan that the C7-T1 never fused properly and is causing approximately 75% of my pain. He wants to operate from the posterior and fuse the facet joints at C7-T1 but also go down thru T3 and up to C5 ish. He says he will also anchor rods to the lamina from C5 thru T3. The reason for this he says is to spread out the load over a wider area. Has anyone had something similar done? I want to be as sure as I possibly can before I let someone cut me a 4th time and fuse more than are already done.

• Well they wanted to do this to me but we decided that the risk was not worth the benefit. My issues are in the C6-T2 area and they wanted to fuse C5 through T2 to make a strong anchor.

I did have posterior surgery on T1-2 so if you have questions on that approach send me a private message and I would be happy to answer.
  • Hi Huckabuck,

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find some great information here. As far as the surgery they are proposing to do, how many opinions have you had? I can understand the process by which they are saying to do that, as I am fused from c3-c7 and have posterior rods. Like you I didn't get here the easier of the routes but through a series of multiple surgeries. It has been said to me many times before in spine surgery more is not always better. My question to you would be what is to stop the levels above or below from herniating? I am really not sure about why to go further down into the T-spine. I have never heard of taking a perfectly good disc and removing it and placing hardware over it. Now if they are leaving the healthy disc alone and putting hardware in, that would be a different story Now obviously once you hit in your mid T's there isn't much movement at all. But you will have the brunt of the load on the higher C's and lower T's. My neck is sured up with the rods to broaden the load of the weight. But all of the disc that have been removed from my neck where herniated. But I would definitely get multiple independent opinions before you proceed with that surgery, just my opinion.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If there is anything I can do don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and keep us posted on what you decide to do.