Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

YAY! I've joined a gym now.....

SueDSSueD Posts: 545
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Chronic Pain
In an effort to again take control and be pro-active in my recovery, I've joined a gym this week.

I feel really good that I'm at least trying to sort myself out and improve my core strength and overall fitness.

I've had two 'induction' sessions so far and will have the last one on Friday. I've been shown all the different equipment and what each one does specifically, and what weights I should be using to start off with.

I should have gone swimming straight afterwards, but decided to use the treadmill instead. Phew, was I hot and sweaty afterwards. I only did cardiovascular exercises today and hopefully can start on the other equipment properly after Friday.

I'll be given a programme on Friday tailored to my individual needs - and he knows about my back, so will bear that in mind. I'm feeling a bit sore back-wise at the moment (and had to have a dollop of oramorph liquid when I came home), but I was uncomfortable when I woke up this morning anyway so at least I know it's nothing to do with what I did/or didn't do at the gym.

I'll carry on with the swimming also (it's at the same place and my membership covers all the activities there, which is brill).

Just thought I'd let you all know. I'm feeling more positive this week than I have for a very long time - long may it continue!!!

I've only got to get through the interview tomorrow, then I can relax for the rest of the week!
2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!

• That is great that you joined a gym Sue! How soon after your surgery did you start swimming? I am so looking forward to the far future after my surgery when I can again do something physical that will help with recovery. At this point I go and sit in a hottub and sometimes float on my back in the pool if I'm up to it.
    What sort of cardio will you be able to do?That is great that you have the pool at the same location.
    All the best with your interview tomorrow...will keep my fingers crossed or you!
    >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Sue,

Sounding better and better! So glad to see all this coming together for you woman!!! *HUGZ* You needed things to finally GO your way!! Whoooaaa!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Congrats! I always felt so good & strong after a gym workout. I think it's smart to work with a personal trainer who understands spine issues, just as you did to get familiar with using the equipment properly. I see so many misusing gymp equipment. The consequences range from doing actual damage to getting little benefit from all of that work.

How great that your gym has a pool, too!

I bet you will find yourself sleeping better at night, too.

I just started doing more since my pain meds were changed. I'm trying not to overdo--time will tell.
  • I started swimming initially when I went to hydrotherapy, about 3-4 months after surgery. I had hydro for about 2 months and I've been proper swimming (i.e. not the exercises, but actual swimming) since January.

The amount I was spending to go swimming each month is now cheaper paying for it monthly, AND I get to use their gym without paying any extra, so it's all good!

I've only been back on the patches and oral solution for only 2 weeks (having increased the dose last week) and see my doc again to review it tomorrow evening. I'm still not sleeping too good, which surprises me as I'm absolutely 'done in' after my swimming sessions. Oh well, there's not much I can do about that until we get the patch and liquid combination right I suppose.

Thanks for your comments ladies!
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Hi; and sorry i dont remember if your injury is connected to your job.
    Just, if it is make sure you have your doctor's consent before taking on different types of therapy, just so your insurance does'nt have a reason to drop you.

Best of luck and hope that therapy helps you.
  • Congratulations to you!That sounds wonderful.

Man I LOVED hydrotherapy! I'd go back (I know my PMD would write me a referral again) but they billed my insurance for "group therapy" and I was stuck with 15 sessions that were supposed to cost 30 bucks each but ended up being over 100 dollars each after inurance denied them. :(

I don't know if I could do weights again, but I adore the water. Just be careful. Too many people overdo the first few sessions in their enthusiam and then pay later. I had a very good trainer once that said, despite what you may have heard, you should not work out to the point of soreness. If you build up gradually enough, you should do great!

This discussion has been closed.