Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wow!! MRI 101 for the cervical spine!!

Aviatrix36440Aviatrix36440 Posts: 5,904
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Good News
Being the research nut that I am, I tripped over something that is not only very, very informative, but FREE!!!

It is a PDF file called "Pocket Atlas of Sectional Anatomy" Volume 1, Head and Neck. Search for the title, and you will find it. I can't post the link because there is some advertising on the download site.

Now while it won't show herniated disks, slipped disks, DDD etc., it shows the Axial, Sagittal, and Coronal MRI images of what is normal, and the best part? All the other 'stuff' in there is anatomically identified and labeled! The "slices" aren't as many as we have on most of our MRI's, but there is a wealth of knowledge in that 250 page puppy! I hope my find helps someone. :)

[my edit] Volume 1 is the only free one presently. Volumes 2 & 3 you still have to buy.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• ...you can find all 3 for free. Just search a bit more. If you find the right site you'll also find radiographic anatomy with many images. As well as a few other anatomical and surgical volumes.

Hint: You need to get much closer to the source to get the best info. There is a lot that is free. Including detailed analysis of broken spines and outcomes. Google can be your best friend if you search very detailed queries. Otherwise it just gives you the whole internet... ;-)

• Graham,

I found all 3 as well. Now finding 3D images sounds intriguing. I guess I can go on my hunting binge again. :)

• I didn't have the best luck finding real working 3D imagery. I have found some good anatomical programs that show it very well. It gives you much better perspective when you can turn the body around and see the skeleton with and without muscles. Those you have to buy. Some are dirt cheap though.

Also if you want to learn more on how it affects you and how you can help yourself. Besides exercises. Which are also free and easy to find. Search for bio-mechanical articles. Some good ones explain the interaction of movement. Since the spine tends to cause you the most grief when moving. You should examine it through ROM. Static images are just that. Sure if you blew out your disc. It's hard to miss. Many have problems because of movement. It's pretty cool to see how muscles and overlays of muscles move as the spine moves.

• I guess I'm gonna have to be more detailed on my wording for my searches. No real good stuff found today!

You are right about ROM. I'm pretty limited on what exercises I can do presently, but stretching and flexibility is still things I work on. Being able to "see" what is going on is not only good for visualization, but too for understanding the purpose of what you're doing.

• Yes get very creative with searches. Use Boolean Logic and it might help with filtering. Sometimes Google search just gets stupid and brings back everything. Try different search engines. I used to use Altavista all the time. It has a different mechanism. Experiment with strings in quotes etc...

When looking for ROM information. Try using words like "biomechanical" etc. Any keyword that surrounds the whole concept of a body in motion.

I'm still searching for a reasonable priced software package like I had before. The old one I have expects me to be running Windows 95... lol.
  • True on creative searches! I like to use 'Bing' for a lot of my searches, or the other I like is 'Dogpile', though Bing seems to hit the more scientific results than does Dogpile.

Software, nodding. I've been running Windows 7 for almost a year now, but have XP on my notebook. I'm glad for that, as some image viewing software will not run on '7'....whew!