Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Having Neck Surgery And Have Questions

Mindymork62MMindymork62 Posts: 207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Can someone help me to find the place to go to read about "pre-op, post-op" for right after and before surgery for neck surgery. I'm having surgery on March 30th, for 2 nerves compressing the spinal canal and also have 2 disc that have herniated. I had surgery back in July for my lumbar and had bone graft, and cage and screws. Will I have to be on a ventilator for this type of surgery?

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Are they doing the anterior or posterior approach? There is a bigger risk of needing a vent after the posterior approach due to swelling. I have had both and did not require the vent for any of my surgeries.The one thing I found I could not live without following my neck surgeries was straws.Make sure you have a good supportive pillow that allows you to prop yourself up ( it makes it easier to get up). Good luck and keep us posted.
  • I've had an ACDF, 3-lvl, with a plate and eight screws, so I might be able to help you a little. There's really not much to say about pre-op - it's just waiting until the day. I made sure I had everything ready like my "station" (my recliner) with a rolling table next to it where I could put my drinks, roll in front of me to eat, etc., a big comfy blanket and lots of pillows.

My surgery was the first of the day at 7:30 and I was home by about 1 pm the next day. I had a hard brace and felt wonderful when I got home. So much so that my husband asked me if I could at least "act" like I just had major surgery. But then the truck hit me on about the third day and I knew it was time to relax and let my MIL take care of me for a while. I think it was the anesthetic they put in the surgery site that made my first couple of days not very painful, but once that wore off, I was sore and hurting a bit.

If you've endured lumbar surgery already, then cervical surgery should be easier for you to handle. The post-op pain wasn't as bad for me as the lumbar was and the recovery was much quicker as well. It's been said that cervical surgery is harder on the surgeon and easier on the patient, while lumbar surgery is easier on the surgeon and harder on the patient. I found that to be true, at least from the patient side.

In the hospital after surgery, I was very coherent, but didn't sleep well. I had to go to the bathroom what seemed like every 45 minutes and a nurse had to help me each time because they needed to measure intake vs. outflow. But it went quickly. I was not on a cath or a ventilator at the hospital, except for during surgery.

Also, at home, I had a sore throat, but no big trouble swallowing. I did have problems with burping, bubbles building up in my esophagus, but not some of the problem lump-like feelings that others have experienced.

Are you going to wear a brace of any sort? I had a hard brace for four weeks and a soft brace for eight after that.

When is your surgery?

Take care,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,845
    Back and Neck Surgery

Even though this one is labeled back, the questions still are valid for cervical surgeries.

38 Questions to ask your surgeon

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi Mindy. I know that hardly anyone talks about the impact a healthy body has on the recovery process. Prior to my surgery, I made sure I was on a healthy diet and exercised by walking everyday. Surgery really takes a toll on your body and during the healing stage (the first 3 months), you will also need to make sure you are getting adequate nutrients for cells to do their work. There are also natural supplements that act as anti-inflammatories, since most surgeons will not recommend you take any NSAIDs right after surgery. If you can stock up your meals by freezing them or if you can get someone to cook for you is a must. Good luck! :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches