Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SS disability --What was the final straw?

OwwieOOwwie Posts: 60
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I realize there are are bunch of posts here about disability, and tons of good information, but I am currently thinking of applying, and I want to hear some more about the human side of the decision making process as opposed to the mechanics of how to go about it....

Any of you that are on disability, what was the final push that led you to that decision, if you don't mind sharing.

This may be TMI, but today I realized how much thought and actual STRATEGY, it takes just for me to get up and go to the toilet. In a strange way it has become second nature, and actually, I'm really not even that depressed about it, it just is what it is ...BUT...I don't know how much longer I can survive this way and be even marginally competent at ANY job.

I realize that every path is unique, but I would really appreciate any stories that any of you can tell about when that path(disability) became the obvious choice.

• Samantha at 6 months post ALIF (failed back surgery) my Ltd carrier required that I apply. Thank God I had purchased long term disability insurance or I'd be in financial ruins right about now
    My Ltd just started the end of Feb, but per policy I HAVE to apply for SS in an effort to offset the insurance carrier's liability. The good think for Mr is that they are assisting me with the process. Thank God! It is an emotional rollercoaster!
    had I not been blessed with both short & long term disability coverage I would have applied 3 months ago.
    It is a unique & personal decision.
    My husband hasn't been able to work for years but we never applied, as I wad making enough money to support our Family's needs.
    now we are in a different boat and have reconsidered his applying as well.
    good luck to you.
  • Thanks Virginia. No long term or short term dis ins. for me, but we have a bit in savings to tide us for awhile...not a long while unfortunately. I'm just now coming to terms with the fact that my life has changed very drastically, and I am looking for a compass.
  • I think the decision is a very emotional one. You are admitting that you can't do it any more. Not easy to do.

On the financial side it is important to consider all aspects. If you don't have some other insurance to cover you until SSD approves you then leaving a job is a big decision. Especially since there is no guarantee that they will approve you. So leaving a job and counting on them paying could be a horrible decision.

But only you know when the time is right. Many are forced into it because of surgery or injury. I left my job last year because I was supposed to have a major surgery. If I had it to do over I don't know if I would have made that decision. Think carefully.
  • Tears are what brought me to the decision. I was sitting in front of my computer crying because I couldn't even type because I was in so much pain. It was then that I realized that I was never going to be able to do my job again (construction worker). I had already been through 2 spine surgeries and knew I needed another at that point. I think you finally get to the point where the fight isn't in you any more. Then you realize that you have to do something to have an income and SSDI is where you end up.

Don't know if this helps you, it is certainly a very personal choice and decision.

• Like Virginia said my LTD made me do it, even then I waited until the last minute.
    For me it was very hard it was like excepting defeat and thats just not my personality
  • Hi; and i agree with others. It's a personal decision.
    In my case i finally realized i would not be able to do my job anymore.
    I had a 2 level fusion, and i'm a truckdriver.

In the beginning my NS was hinting for me to look for a different line of work, but i'm also 55 y/o, and who's gonna hire me?

So dont wait to long as it can be a very long process.
    Good luck to ya.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    While a personal decision, there is a timeliness factor that effects eligibility and benefit amount.

You have to make the decision to apply as soon as you have been out more than 5 months and expect to be out for possibly more than a year. While working you earn "credits" that make you eligible for SSDI and the wages earned determine your SSDI. If you are out of work too long your credits may expire and you would no longer be eligible.

The worst thing that happens is you apply, are approved, and then go back to work. You notify SS and they close your case. If disabled again later you can reapply and having benefits now doesn't deter or change eligibility for later.

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos