Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SI Joint Injection help

rebeckymccrrebeckymcc Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems
Hi-new to this website. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience to mine. I just had a steroid injection into my SI joint using an xray machine for guidance. This was 5 days ago. For two days after I was in extreme pain, couldn't walk. I'm better now but I am still not feeling the relief of pain I want. What I'm feeling in the joint isn't exactly the same pain as before, just slightly different.

Am I worrying about this too soon? Has anyone had this injection and had to wait 5 or more days for it to kick in?

I'm going to Disney in two weeks so I'm hoping this helps me.

• do an arthrogram while in there, or tell you what he believes is the problem with the SI joint?

• No he didn't, that I know of. I had two major falls in the same area of my back and he believes it cause my joint to become slightly dislocated and now I have arthritis. I need rehabilitation but he is starting with this injection and then another one in three weeks. I'm going to Disney in two weeks and I am praying that I can walk around without pain.

It's just weird because the pain in the SI joint has resolved but now my upper back muscles hurt, my groin sometimes hurt and I have a feeling its because I'm walking funny to not do anything to the joint.

I heard the 1st injection typically doesn't last longer than a few days. I hope that is not the case.
  • I had 3 injections in my so joint
    None of them lasted any relief for more than a week.
    Later on I had no choice but to have si joint fusion (surgery )
    I was in the hospital for a week.
    its now been 9 months post op and now I am told the surgery was a failed one and nothing else left for me now.

Everyone is different and we act differntly with treatments and medications.
    Talk with your doctor you might need another injection.
    good luck.
  • Read about si joint dysfunction
    it can cause you to have pain in your buttocks, radiating pain down your leg,and can cause pain in your groin.
    The pain can be unbearable if you work wit your doctor he should be able to help you besides therapy.
    Be prepared for when when you start pt it can wosen your pain due to aggrivating it. Do only what exercises you are comfortable with. Don't push it if it causes pain.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,841
    do not always work for some people. I have had about 9 of them in a 24 month time frame. Some were for cervical, some for thoracic and some for lower lumbar.

I had good luck with about 2 of them. The relief lasted for a long time (6 months) with those. Many times I had better success with Trigger Point Injections, which uses some type of anesthetic vs Steorid. You can have multiple trigger point injections at the same time and there really isn't any limit. While ESI's, some doctors and insurance companies will allow only 3 per year.

Spine-Health has a lot of details regarding Spinal injections Pain Injections
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi :-D

I have had quite a few s.i. joint injections with anaesthetic and cortercosteroids - they were really painful to get done even with the anaesthetic.

It is VERY common for the pain to feel worse for a day or two after the procedure, and yes, it can take some days for it to kick in properly - that was my experience any way.

After about a week, I found that it was a decent 'step' forward with my pain levels, but by no means took all the pain away or fixed it.

The reason you could be feeling pain in your neck, shoulders, upper back etc, can be (well - was - in my case) from your posture and movement being out of balance because of compensating for the SI joint pain. I had to go through physical rehab not just for my si joint pain, but because of sitting, walking and standing awkwardly - I had stretched the 'short' muscles and 'shortened' my long muscle groups. I was told this is common when experiencing back pain for a long time, and can only be corrected with physio/exercises.

The pain in your groin etc can be referred pain - I experience referred pain in the very tip of my sacrum, hips, groin, upper thighs and also some sciatic pain (not nearly as much 2 years later though).

Good luck with it, and hope those injections kick in and help a bit.

Warmest regards,

• I had an SI injection; Doctor told me "I'd hate him for a few days" - pain would increase.
    I have never been the same and tried to get ahold of the doctor for seven days; he wouldn't answer the phone so I, ended up, unfortunately, in the ER room. The doctor wrote a two page "cover his back" explanation of lies and to date, I don't know why my pain increased.
    Anyone out there have answers?
  • I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I had an SI injection two weeks ago and am 75% better.
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil
  • I have had some ESI's to work and some didn't work at all....The most relief I have ever gotten out of one was about 6 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.