Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back *all of the above

rosa-lynnrrosa-lynn Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in New Member Introductions
Good day to all! I am starting an acct. here in hopes of finding some help for my mother. Here goes(and I'll try to get more accurate details on her MANY surgies and conditions to post ASAP)
*57 yr old female
*Numerous fusions(over the last 10 yrs) and approx. 14 in of titanium rod(lower back up to mid-chest)
*Most recently (Dec. 2010) fusion of the L5-1(??hardware across hips and fused all the way down)

Yesterday's attempt to install a SCS(sp. cord. stim)failed. PM doc said the back was too bad -doc had never failed to install a device IN THE TRIAL! :( Mom is devastated as the pain since her last fusion is agony. She is barely walking. She managing to stay by herself but has no indication from her drs she is going to get any better. All 3 drs- PM, ortha, & neuro- have been reluctant to give her meds and she has fought using anything stronger than percocet til now. Oxycotin had been prescribed yrs ago post-op and was too adverse to have any usefullness. She wants to be more aggressive w/ meds to get through the pain but her drs are saying no. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to work with your doctors to try more aggressive treatment w/ meds?? It is unthinkable to me that a physician who knows someone basically needs a "spine transplant" would not give that patient meds to get through the day.

• Sorry to hear about them not being able to put the SCS in. I hope she can see another Pain Management Dr. to help get your Mom out of pain. Has she tried water therapy with a Physiotherapist? She needs to go in and tell the Drs the pain comes back after 3-4hours after the pain meds or whatever it is for her. Maybe keeping a pain journal may help the Dr. decide what to help her with. I had to return to my Dr. to get more pain relief several times in a few months and the car ride was unbearable with the vibration but I had to be persistent until I got some pain relief meds to help me get up everyday and go for a walk. Best wishes for your Mom and you. Praying she'll get some relief soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. your mother is very fortunate to have you in her corner.. i wish there where some magic answers for you but they are slow and time consuming... if you are not getting proper pain control from this doctor, i to would suggest a good pain managament doctor.. i hope this is possible for her....please have a look around and make yourself at home... we are all here to help! please remember to take care of yourself as well. don't let that fall by the wayside! take care and good luck! Jenny :)