Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Brace

Mindymork62MMindymork62 Posts: 207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Is there a way I can order a new neck brace online instead of going through the place my Dr. wants me to go? My insurance will pay 70% of the total cost if it goes through the insurance. My surgery is the 30th of this month. I have to bring the hard brace with me when I come for surgery.

• You can order the neck braces online, but I am not sure how that will work with your insurance. I am sure you can summit a claim after you order it and they will pay their percent. Just google the name of the brace and you will find supply houses. But I would call your insurance company and see if you will actually be saving any money, if they don't reimburse.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    you can order braces online. You will probably need a prescription to make sure you get the exact type that your surgeon wants for you.

How it will be handled by your insurance company is another item to work with. I would call the company to let them know this is what you intend to do , so you can find out how they want you to proceed.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • On both of my fusions, I awoke "in the hard brace".... So I didn't need to buy one. I'd check with your surgeon, as you may be placed in one while in the OR like I was. Each surgeon is different on bracing. I did have to get my soft collar.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    My phy. always had me come in for a fitting before the surgery with my braces. So I dont know if it would be a good idea to buy one without the docs approval.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    It is important to verify that any hard collar neck brace you are going to purchase is approved by your surgeon.

I used the Philadelphia Hard collar neck brace:
    I was given two from the hospital, like Brenda, the first one was already on after I came out of the recovery room.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I'm going in to have a brace fitted per my Dr. I only have to pay $32 through my insurance. I'm glad I called them. Thanks for all the posts. :)
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I was sent to a local orthotic/prosthetic company that provided me the brace via insurance. They were approved by my insurance. For my neck I had the Aspen Brace.

If it's early in your health insurance policy year you may pay more as the deductible has to be applied first. Once you've met your deductible everything costs less.

I wasn't sure why you'd not have access to the brace through your surgeon or a local company your insurance approves. Most every insurance has companies they contract with for this service. Just call your insurance and ask for a local approved company.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos