Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

neck pain and chest pain

clsmeekscclsmeeks Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
can some one please help me make some sense of this have severe neck and shoulder pain and pain radiating down middle of back between shoulder blades and chest pain also
can chest pain be caused by all the problems with my neck

findind spine in alignment no evidence of fracture or suluxation. moderate deg changes are present with end plate irregularity and osteophyte formation the bone marrow signal is unremarkable mild to moderate disk disiccation is present throughout the cervical spine with loss of volume and hydration. the posterior fossa midline structures are grossly unremarkable in appearance. the cervical spinal cord is normal in caliber and signal characteristics.

mri report c2-3 a minimal broad based disk bulge is present with mild effacement of the ventral thecal sac. NOsignificat cedntral canal or foraminal stenosi results

c3-4 a moderatley sized broad based disk bulge is present along with mild ligamentum flavum hypertrophy cuasing a servere central canal stenosis with mild flattening and remottling of the underlying cord. Moderalte bilateral foraminal stenosis result form adjacent uncovertebral hypertropy
c4-5 a small broad based disk bulge is present eccentric to the right with a small annular tear. there is near complete effacement of the ventral thecal sac causing a moderate central canl stenosis. there is no significant right framinal stenosis hoever a mikld left foraminal stenosis results from adjacent uncovertebral hperrtrophyand facet overgrowth.

c5-6 there is a small broad based disk bulge with complete effacement of the ventral thecal saccausing a mild to moderate central canal stenosis. MIld to moderate bilateral foramiknal stenosis result from adjacent uncovertebral hypertrophy and facet overgrowth.

c6-7 a small broad based disk bulge is present with complete effacementof the ventroal thecal sac causing a moderate central canal stenosis. MIld bilateral framinal stenoses result from adjacent uncovertebral hypertrophy.

c7-t1 no disk bulge of canal framinal stenosis is present

said no abnormal enhancement withing the cervical spine with gadolinium.

1 moderate degenarative chages throughout the cervical spine as detailed abov.
2 severe central canal stenosis at the c3-4 level , secondary to large disk bulge and mild ligamentum flavum hypertrophy.
3 multilevel mild to moderate foraminal stenosies . secondary to adjacent uncovertebral hypertrophy.

• I'm 2 weeks post op from ACDF for C5-C6. Moderate disc bulge and bone spurs encroaching spinal cord. My pain was worst in between my shoulder blades. That was actually what brought me in to the NS last year. MRI Cspine and Tspine showed nothing for Tspine and the above problem for Cspine. So I'm assuming this was causing all of the severe pain in between shoulder blades and chest. It was hard to breathe at times also. I also had severe headaches at base of skull on a daily basis, total numbness of left and hand and pain anytime I tried to use my hand to open anything, write, etc. Mild to moderate shoulder pain was also an issue. Hope this helps!
  • thanks for the info I have the same symptoms and cant get much relief have pain meds they help some but when it gets real bad theres nothing to do except suffer. I went to hospital this week cause doc thought it was my heart and got ct scan of chest and mri of neck but the bummer is on ct scan of chest there is 11mm nodule im scheduled next week for pet scan to check on it.
  • Howdy Clsmeeks,

And a hearty Welcome to Spine Health!! None of us on here are doctors, but patients with nerve and spine issues such as yourself. With that stated, we can't, and to aren't qualified to give diagnosis or interpretation of ones MRI. I can help you with some of the terms, you can also use the search box on the top of the page, or of course, there's our friend "Mr. Google" search. (G)

With me, whenever I get MRI, CT etc. reports, I start learning lots of new words! It still doesn't interpret my MRI, but at least the words aren't Greek to me anymore!! Hope this helps, these are the ones I know.

foraminal stenosis = Stenosis in itself is a "narrowing". This can be caused by bone overgrowth, or disk material. The foramen is the space (holes) between your vertebra that the nerve roots exit. If the disk is protruding/herniating/bulging, it can partially or fully block a root, and as such stenosis occurs.

Stenosis = Narrowing, more common for lumbar, but not unheard of for the cervical spine. Can be caused by osteophytes (bone spurs) or disks with issues.

Ligamentum Flavum Hypertrophy = This is an enlargement of some of the "connective" tissues - ligaments, along or within our spines.

Hypertrophy = Big word (Greek) Swollen or over sized.

Uncovertebral hypertrophy = This is a swelling of joints within the cervical spine, more so towards the foramen. I understand the basics of it, as I had it for my first fusion, but this is my basic understanding of it. The "Uncovertebral" is the joint portion, and the Hypertrophy is the enlarged or swollen part.

Ventral Thecal Sac = http://www.chirogeek.com/000_disc_anatomy.htm This site describes much of this better than I, plus pictures!

Hopefully definitions are of help. Your doctor is the only one that can tell you what is going on. Keep this in mind, you can have a messy MRI and no symptoms, or only a small bulge and writhing in pain. The MRI is only a piece of the puzzle or just one of the tools towards diagnosis for your surgeon. So try not to freak over a report. My surgeon reads the report, but he views the MRI itself to make his determination.

If I can help further, please ask away. Again, welcome aboard!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Forgot to ask. You said you're on pain medications, and they aren't working for you? Do they have you on any "nerve" pain medications? Lyrica, Neurotrin etc.? The symptoms you describe sounds like some Radiculopathy (nerve pain due to nerve roots from the spine) going on there.

Narcotics/Opiates don't address 'nerve' pain at all for the most part. They are for the mechanical pain. Just thought I would toss that in for you.

• thanks for the defenitions and yes i have been prescribed lyrica before but had bad reaction to it and have bad reactions to any type of depression meds
    he has given me amatryptaline that helps some but have not tried neurotine. well I had a discetomy on c7 t1 in 2008 but after surgery I started having right shoulder and right neck pain that wasnt there before . And to make things worse I was involved in a head on collision coming home from work pt as delivery driver for pizza the other driver did not have head lights on and turned into him going about 10mph but he was doing about 50 or 60. So that has aggravated all of my symptons even worse been to chiro and pt but with no improvement. so just hoping for the best when I see nuero guy on friday
  • Did your doctor have you undergo a NCV/EMG to see the status of your nerves? If done properly, it can be a very good tool to help zero in on what is going on presently. Just curious...

Sorry you and Lyrica didn't get along. It's funny, on here I see many can only take Lyrica or Neurotrin. There's other nerve pain medications, but can't remember their names straight off.

Please let us know how it goes with your NS. I'll send you positive energy and thoughts that it works out well for you.

• thanks for the inof no I have not had any emg testing done yet but Im sure that will be what they look into when i go to nuero. Im just really stressed due to 11mm nodule found in my lung when i was in hospital and spoke with pulminologist he was very vauge and i guess did not want to get me alarmed before all of the test are done to check for cancer but being a smoker for over 35 years and working with radioactive matierial while in military. Ive just on edge i guess. I hope that lung issue is secondary to neck problems in the long run that way i can a least feel a little better about whats going on. Again thanks for your feedback
  • clsmeeks,

Sending positive thoughts your way that it is benign. And whether benign or otherwise, it sounds like it is localized, and can be dealt with hopefully with a complete resolution. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

• I'll know more tmw have appt at 245 pm cnt will update all when I get back find out more about it whether its smooth or irregular. I heard makes a bunch of difference when they are found smooth ones less chance for cancer but doc did not say one way or other in hosp just wanted to do followup and then pet scan. and then go from there :&
  • I am scheduled for acdf on c3-c4 on 4-6-11 but does anybody have any advice about hand and arm tremors and basically weakness in my legs having any thing to do with spinal stenosis it has seemed to get worse each day say nuero surgeon yesterday for surgery and told him about tremors said it probably is from pressure on my spinal cord but i was reading that lisinopril is used to treat hand tremors and have just started this medication about 2weeks ago and dont know if that could be a cause like doing oppisite of what it supposed to do dr had list of all meds any advice
  • Howdy Cls....

Not sure about the medication, never been on it, but the higher level you are with the cervical, that could (*could*) be causing them. Hopefully you will know shortly after surgery, and if still there, you and your doctor can figure out where they are coming from.

• 3 months post c3 c4 acdf having a bunch of pain in left shoulder and pain in muscle in front left chest told dr but he said probably associated with post surgery healing but I have on point in cervical area that is very painful due anyone think that could be problem even told dr about the pain in cervical area he thinks it is radicular pain from neck but when i push on disc it hurts any advice would be helpful