Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I made it! 5 days post PLIF

babsohiobbabsohio Posts: 26
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:51 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I survived!
I had my PLIF surgery last Friday, March 18th at 7:30am. Surgery lasted about 5 hours. My scar is about 5 inches long. I was discharged Sunday around 5pm. I wear a black brace at all times except while in bed or the shower. I have my post-op appointment in 4 weeks. My stitches are dissolvable with steri-strips so no extra trip to the surgeon's office to get those removed.

The surgery went well. The surgeon does MIV but I didn't qualify due to the type of work that needed done. I found out I have extreme lordosis of my lumbar spine. As a result, my L5-S1 disc space is almost verticle instead of horizontal. The surgeon had to be real picky about the types of cages he used so they wouldn't slip before fusion. He corrected my spondylolithesis. He cleaned out a bunch of grit from where the bones were rubbing together. He decompressed all the areas and said he could see the L5, S1, and even S2 very clearly. So I just need to be very careful now to keep those cages in places until fusion happens.

I have to agree with everyone when they say the first two days or so are brutal. Yes, they were!!! I did end up getting two units of blood on Saturday. They said I didn't lose that much during surgery but the drainage was pretty heavy the first day which attributed to needing the transfusion.

So that is where I am at right now. I am at day 5 and plugging along. I appreciate all the advice I read on these boards. Thanks everyone!


  • you're now on the other side now and know that each day/week will get better.

    Having a first spine surgery know that there are good days and bad and a mixture in between even in one day! Follow your surgeon's instructions, wearing the brace, walking, no lifting, easy does it okay!

    I know there are some great lumbar spineys here to support you, I'm a cervical spiney (surgery 2 pending), but I wanted to wish you well now that you are, as they say, "on the other side" now!

    Trust the process of healing and follow the do's and don'ts of your surgeon - - it just takes time and patience.

    Hope you can sleep well and rest assured all is unfolding well. Glad your surgery went well!

Sign In or Register to comment.