Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone tried Amitriptyline

discreplacementddiscreplacement Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Pain Management

I've been told to take Amitriptyline for my constant neck pain and migraines. Has anyone else taken this? I would like to hear if it worked or not?

• For chronic pain.
    I also know two others that take it & find it quite benefical.
    It was perscribed to me,but I found I woke up each morning with gummy drug mouth in mornings.
    It also worries me that if I cover all my pain with drugs,how will I know if I have improved at all.

Mike from NZ
  • This med gave me back my life! I had horrible migraines and neck pain ( which often times comes together ). I was in the ER at least 1 time a month with my pain being so bad.

Since starting it about 6 yrs ago I think I have had to go to ER for the migraines aprox 3 times :)

The only thing about this med I din't like is - it is really rough for me to get up in the mornings. I take my pill at night as it makes me very tired and I could never function if I took it in day time.

I was on 50 mg and cut mine in 1/2. Works just as well at 25 as 50 did but a tad easier for me to get up.

Also many meds say don't drink alchol while taking - my pharm says this one is VERY dangerious to drink while taking. My Dr says 1 glass of wine 5 hrs before taking the pill is safe.

Please keep us updated how this works for you :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I was prescribed this medication for sleep issues. It does help me sleep most of the night. If it makes you tired take it at night before going to bed
  • I haven't taken this Med, but wanted to ask how your disc replacement worked out for you? I'm assuming you are still having issues seeing you had issues at other levels and are inquiring on this medication and its effectiveness.
    I suffer from migraines, headaches, neck & shoulder pain too and recently had cervical mri and have several issues, one of which is a cord injury at C 5/6 and ACDF has been offered, looking into 2nd opinion and just had my first cervical bilateral ESI this past Tuesday. I am still recovering from an ALIF 7 months ago L 4/5 which hasn't been going too well and I am curious as to what if any relief you got from your ADR. hope you don't mind me asking.
    I hope you find the relief you are needing.

• Amitriptyline was the first nerve med I tried and it helped a bit with my sleeping but Lyrica seems to help with my neck pains and Cymbalta for my lower back pain and leg pain. My brother who's had lumber fusion swears by amitriptyline 25 mg to help with his nerve pain. I hope it helps you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • My disc replacement went well as I no longer have any of the pain I was having in my shoulder or down my arm - no more numbness of my little finger. I had it done in July 2010 and it has taken a few months and I do think it will continue to take time before I am fully recovered. Some physios over here say it can take up to 12 or 18 months before a full recovery is made.

I suffered with migraines pre surgery anyway and take rizatriptan for them when I feel one coming on which does the trick every time pretty much. But this ongoing dull ache and stiffness higher up to where they operated on is just wear and tear they say and it is possible that my job is not helping. I work at a computer all day and I guess my posture still is not great.

I've been on the Amitriptyline for 3 days now and the effects surely are interesting and I hope that after a few weeks of taking it that I can feel the full effects. Right now it's a matter of feeling like a zombie the next day. Not sure if it is coincidental, but my neck pain has eased a bit but not the mirgaines. If anything they are worse. But I'm going to stick at it.

So to answer your question, yes my surgery was a success as the radiating pain has gone and the shooting pain through my shoulder went also.

Hope this helps. Ask anything else if you wish!!

• come off it as it made me eat like a mad man and put me in to water retention so i came off it .and it did not work
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • For sharing your experience. I'm glad you have gotten relief from your ADR that is wonderful.

I hope that your new medication does the trick for you and takes care if your residual pain & headaches.

Best of luck for continued success in your recovery!

Ask your phisio for help with body mechanics and proper sitting positions to help you during your work day. ... I know easier said then done.

• I took it for at least a couple of years for sleep and pain; it seemed to make a difference for quite a while, then gradually stopped working. When we increased the dosage, I began to have terrible night tremors - I would wake up and it felt like my whole bed was shaking!

The other thing I found with it was that my sugar craving was ridiculous, and I eventually gained 35 pounds. When I went off, the weight just fell off and I got back to my normal weight again.

It was definitely worth trying, but the weight gain was a concern for me; the more I gain, the more my back pain increases, so I would definitely weight the pros and cons if I were ever to try it again.