Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 weeks post ACDF now with exteme low back pain and shooting pain

oliversmommaooliversmomma Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I've had low back pain for as long as I can remember. I've never had and MRI of my L-Spine. Just had C5C6 ACDF on March 7th. The only thing I feel is better is my daily headaches at the base of my skull. Still having really bad hand pain. Now my right side is almost as bad as my left was before surgery. In the past two days, not only is my low back hurting, I'm having terrible shooting pains down my right hip. I haven't done anything major for this to start hurting this bad. I have my first follow up appt. with Dr. on Friday. I feel bad because I feel worse than I did before surgery and I hope he doesn't give up on me. Can anyone shed any light on the low back issue?

• Howdy Oliversmomma,

You state that you've had "low back pain for as long as you can remember?" Is it possible that there is something going on down there, and now that the pain from your neck is reduced, it is more realized? I would bring that up with your doctor and see what he/she has to say. I was sort of like that with my thoracic, and while he thought I herniated in the thoracic, I lucked out (lucked out?) and it was found 3 black disks, and one level with osteophytes.

That you have pain radiating away from your back, that is something I would look at. Additional Oliversmomma, now that you have had fusion surgery, even though in the neck, your whole spine amongst other things in your body are adjusting. That might be adding stress as well. Please let us know what you find out. *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi OliversMomma,
    I'm now 10 weeks post my ACDF at c6-c7 and I would say I have had a whole range of pain and twinges since the operation, particularly in my hands.It's like my nervous system is on fire. Like you I've always suffered from lower back pain and so it was a shock to have a prolapsed disc and cord compression in my neck. I have had some lower back pain since the operation- I have a very understanding physio who tells me this is unsurprising- the whole spine is readjusting right now. It's a scary time though- and not many people understand the extended recovery period for this. My physio says- you will be fine but it will take a year. I still have numbness and loss of function in my left hand- but again I am told nerves are slow to heal and it can take two years to get function back. I have two small children- 8 and 6- so it's hard not to overdo it. I have been walking and gently swimming ( making sure my neck is in alignment). I have also had some reflexology which helped. Things are very slowly improving but this week for example I have had two bad days and four good days so far. I think measuring things in weeks is better than measuring them in days. But it's a difficult road and we need to get the support where we can!