Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain management balance!!!!

sheba1964ssheba1964 Posts: 102
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi guys,I was after some different opinions & experiences with this pain management stuff.
My fear is that if I cover up the pain with drugs to get some relief & enable me to be more active,how will I know what progress & success my fusion has been.
I suspect my metal ware is causing this pain,though I don't know that for sure,but its from the exact location of the bottom screw/lumber fusion.
I don't want to cover the pain with drugs & then find I have done more damage by being too active ,when there is an on-going problem that needs fixing.
Your thoughts & experiences with this would be gratefully appreciated.
Many thanks Mike.

• Sheba,

Maybe they are trying to reduce the pain so you can become more active? Sometimes that is needed to get someone over the hump. If the hardware is the issue, they won't be able to do anything I wouldn't think till your fusion is solid. They can do a hardware block at some point and time to see if your hardware is causing the issue. But my take usually is if you trust a surgeon to operate on you, then trust them with what they are asking of you post surgery as well.
  • Yes I would think you are correct,there is nothing that can be done with the hardware till the fusion is considered solid.
    My concern is ,if this is the case,am I going to make things worse by becoming active.Sure ,I can mask the pain & enjoy that relief,but if my activities are going to cause more harm than good,it seems to defeat the purpose.
    However,I am sick of sufferiong ,so I have increased the oxycontin to get some relief,& I will keep my activity to a low level for a while.
    Trouble is,when you live alone & do not have people to help you,you end up trying to do it yourself.
    Simple things like going down onto a knee to get something off the floor etc is enough to create more pain.
    It seems like a visious cycle at present,but I am pressing on trying not to stress.as that won't help or change anything .
    Man,life becomes so boring,when your activity is so restricted.Sometimes you wonder whats the point of continuing to struggle in this way.But,I guess we just HOPE for a better future,& that keeps us fighting on.
    Bless you all for your encouragement.

• I would tell you that I am never pain free, reduced - YES , not free. Never have for coming onto 2.5 decades.

I will encourage you to keep finding ways to move and keep your spirits up. Attitude - will save the day and also allows for pain to decrease.

Cheers - C458
  • Thanks for your post.
    Sorry to hear you are never completely pout of pain.
    What percentage of pain is still evident & can you not take a higher dose to kill all of it.
    Thats what I have done at the moment,I have added a codine/paracutimol mix tabs & take two three times a day.Boy has that made a difference.I am back walking etc,but I worry what damage I might be causing ,so i am still limiting my activities.
    I see my surgeon tomorrow.It will be interesting what he has to say.
    Will report back to you how that goes for me.
    Take care & have a as best a day as poss folks.
    My prayers are with you all.
This discussion has been closed.