Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new here...spinal fusion and numbness

jrasmussenjjrasmussen Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
i had in january 2011 i had a spinal fusion of L4,L5 and S1, which included 6 screws, rods, and 2 cages. when i work up from surgary 7 hrs later i relised i was numb on my left buttock, crotch, and down the back of my leg and my whole foot. i was freaking out.....the p.a. came in and said everything went good but i had severe scar tissue that had to be removed and the dr. accidently cut my dura lining. so after lying flat in the hospital for 4 days i was released to go home......i went to my 2 week appt to get my stitches out and to also address the huge seroma i had in my incition and the numbness i still had....i was told that the numbness should go away with time and to apply pressure to the seroma. i was doing my pt like i was instructed but because of financial reasons i had to stop. around the first of april i noticed i was having issues with my bladder retaining urine, but didnt really get to concered. thought it could have been from my new medication that the upped. Monday april 10th i woke up to realize the right side if my buttock and crotch were also starting to go numb...ok Now im scared. i called the dr and they told me to come over immediatly.....they addmitted my to the hospital. well after placing a cathetar to get rid of the urine that i cant they did a myelograph. it came back ok, then they decided to do steriod injections on each side of L3-L4. which ive had no releif. the dr came in this morning and said they cant figure out whats wrong with me so to go home and if problems get worse to call them.......they did infact tell me to go the the ER and get a cathater if i continue with the bladder problems....oh joy!..........im at a loss here and dont know which way to turn! please help with any infornation you might have. Thank You

2007 laminectomy l4-l5-s1
2011 reexploration, laminectomy, facetectomy, diskectomy,decompression bialterall4-l5, posterior lumbar interbody fusion l4-l5-s1,cage implants l4-l5-s1,autograph,pedicle screws.

severe bilateral forminal steniosis
severe lumbar DDD

neurontin 1200mg per day
hydrcode 10----8x per day
robaxin 3000mg per day
prozac 40 mg per day

• jrasmussen said:
    ...the p.a. came in and said everything went good but i had severe scar tissue that had to be removed and the dr. accidently cut my dura lining.
    I would research the information your PA supplied you with and see where that leads you. Did the surgeon supply you with this information as well, or admit to any error on his part? Did you get a copy of the surgical reports, and was this in them?

I'm sorry you are going through this, and I hope others come along and help you more than I have been able to. welcome to spine-health, I'm sure you will find a lot of information helpful to you here, as well as any support you may need.
  • ~X( in the dr report he said there was no complications and no CSF leak.......in the report from the p.a, because she was in there she stated that there was a dura tear that took 4 stitchs to close........the dr. finally admitted when i was at his office monday before he sent me to the hospital......
  • sorry not sure how this posting stuff works :(
  • thank you for reading my story!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    If the dural tear were an issue most likley your symptoms would be headaches. I had a dural tear during my 1993 surgery, ended up back in for 10 days while they let the dural tear heal. If you have any low back swelling that is, for lack of a better term "squishy" it can be a dural leak so have it looked at.

Does your surgeon have a partner in the practice? Maybe you could find out when the surgeon will be out and say "oh it's urgent, can I see Dr. X?"
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • :) i had an MRI done on april 1st before this other stuff happened and he said there were issues with L3-L4 and that i had a "pocket of spinal fluid built up"........im going to see my family dr on the 15th and gonna have him give me a referral to someone else. my concern is that he cut nerves inside of the dura lining and thats why i have the numbness and bladder issues!
  • So how did your appt go. I hope you are feeling a little better?
  • :''( still in major pain.....but my dr is referring me to another neuosurgeon. so hopefully i can get some awnsers!