Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bed preference poll

ohhenryoohhenry Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:52 AM in Sleep Problems
Has there ever been a poll for bed preference on the site? I'm pretty sure I'm due for a new bed. Always liked Simmons Beautyrest but open to other makes as well. I know beds are often labeled to personal preference, somewhat like a car but would be nice to know what people with back problems find comfortable, like me. Just a thought.

• There are a few threads about favorite beds here. When I injured my back 3 years ago I bought a memory foam mattress with 5" memory foam and 6" of foam and it's the most comfortable bed I've ever had. I also use a memory foam pillow and I like the microfiber pillows also. The thing with memory foam you kind of stay in the same position all night and the mattress can feel a little warm underneath. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I LOVE my termpurpedic (or however you spell it!). We bought it 4 years ago because my husband has low back problems. I honestly didn't think I would like it, but I love our bed.
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations
  • Its a good quality ultra firm bed, with a Memory Foam topper I purchased separately. I also have a variety of different sized pillows I can use to help get my body in the perfect position.
  • with a memory foam and sprung combination mattress .is very comfy and very high end but i still can only sleep for between 1/3 hours then pain wakes me .and i end up on my recliner ..we also bought the tempur bed it cost as much as the velda {around 3 thousand} but both me and kath ..my wife found it too mushy and i needed help to get off it ..so we bough the electrical adjustable bed .at least i can get off it with little help or on a good day no help {it should be invaluable after my operation } the tempur i think is over sold on it bad back qualities it made my back worse and my wife who has a good bad was not impressed ..the velda it in my opinion a far superior bed and mattress sprung and memory foam for me is a better solution ..tempur make very good pillows the millenium queen is unique and worth every penny .in short i think electrical adjustable beds with metal frames {rather than nasty pine frames } with a memory foam and sprung combination mattress are better than a flat bed for bad backs
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I have only had my sleep number bed for a few months, but I just love it. It has truly made a big difference in terms of comfort for both my back and neck issues. I am afraid I spend more time in it than I would like to, but at least it is very comfortable. My number is 50. It was a bit pricey for us but well worth the investment on our charge card. I wish you all the best in your comfort search :)!

glo from MA
  • hi all,
    i was lucky to get a new bed just few wks ago
    its a memory foam and latex mix and i love it.
    hubby insisted so why not the bills will always be there but i need to do all i can to get good nite sleep and i sure do...
    good thread
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Most comfortable bed my wife and I have found was in a hotel right after we got our current one.... wish we stayed in that hotel a few weeks earlier... it was a zerb
  • Like I previously stated in my thread starter post, I have a Simmons Beautyrest Backcare mattress set and is at least 20 years old. It was a good mattresss back then and I still consider it ok. My wife insists on buying a new mattress, she says that this mattress has done it's time and can be the cause of my enduring back pain.
    While I can't disagree that it's done it's time, can we be sure that it's overdue? We've rotated it at frequent intervals.
  • Love my sleep number bed. I am a 65. Hubby 85. I really know how good it is when I sleep in another bed. I just spent 2 nights in a hotel at a conference. Can't wait to get back to my bed. You don't have to buy the most expensive model to benefit. We had a perfectly good box spring so we didn't buy a platform. I do wish we could afford the adjustable model.
    Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.
  • achyneck said:
    I LOVE my termpurpedic (or however you spell it!). We bought it 4 years ago because my husband has low back problems. I honestly didn't think I would like it, but I love our bed.
    After four years, does the mattress sag in the middle at all?
  • Can you go and try out some of the suggested models? I would love to try a sleep number bed as it sounds ideal.... you can make it whatever you need/want!

I can't remember what I've got now, but it was either a sealy or a simmons, super-duper firm as anything softer and I have/had to move to the floor! I cant get down there to look at the name, but I'll check it out when I have some help... even 6 years later, it's still very comfortable... I say ahhhh, almost every time I lay down.

I did try a tempurpedic bed when I was shopping for mine... *embarrasing note- I laid down, and I thought it was a little bit comfortable... but, maybe too soft... but the worst was, rolling over onto my side to lay as I normally would... when it came time to roll back and get out of the bed... I couldn't!!! LOL, I had to call out for my brother who was with me, to come help me out of the bed... I decided then and there that it was probably not the bed for me, LOL!
  • Wouldn't it be nice to try out a few beds fore more than just a few minutes? How can anyone assess a bed from lying in it for just a few minutes and then having to sleep in it for numerous years? But what other choice do we have? Keep on dreamin' (pun intended).
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    but I forgot.... (sorry)

We had a Select Comfort for about 20 years. It was the air bladder model, so that each side could be adjusted to just how firm or soft you wanted it.

Well, after all those additional surgeries and last year's shoulder replacements, that bed did not work.

We recently purchased a nice mattress. (Name ?) Tried out about 15 models at a Sleep store and went with their BLUE model.

But more importantly, we also had this one equipped with the adjustable bed frame. So, its essentially like a hospital bed. We have wireless control and can get the feet up so it bends at your knees and/or get the head up to read and watch TV. A feature that we didnt know about (nor did the salesman) is that we also have a 3-way built in massage feature. It can do your feet, you neck or a wave (up/down). Now that does feel good many nights.

To me, the adjustable feature is much more important than the actual mattress. I know (Tony aka Straker from the past) has one that is King size, so that each couple can adjust their own bed. We have a Queen, so adjustments are for all.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Is to research different hotel chains.
    Most use one brand for the whole chain.
    A $100 test ride is much better then buying a bed that doesn't work well for you and your honey !
    This is how we decided to go with the Select Comfort
    5000 that we now sleep on.
    I just stayed at a hotel in Olathe Kansas that had the Temperpidec beds , I loved them.
    It was like sleeping on a big puffy cloud, although it was kinda hot to sleep on and hard to get out of in the morning.
    But I did sleep for 4 hours straight which is dam near a record for me these days. :P
    Now I want to add a 4" memory foam topper to our air bed in place of the 3" memory foam in our Select Comfort air bed.
    A good best is worth every penny, and can be a tax right off if you get you Dr to write you a perscription for it, at least here in the states it is a medical write off.
  • Well we bought one of these and so far we like it. I'm getting support where I need it whether I'm on my back or side. I know there are a lot better beds out there but my budget is a factor. I'm going to give this one a try for awhile. I can always move it to the cottage where we sleep less often over all.
  • I am desperate for a comfy bed. we have had a termperpedic for 7 years. At first loved it, last 3 years, not so much. Even added additional foam on top, no help. Bought a sleep number 3 months ago, still can't find the right number. It helped husbands shoulder pain with in 1 week of sleeping on it. I had a fusion may 23, l4-s1. haven't been comfy at all. Now i seem to go back and forth between the beds (put the foam bed in other room when bough sleep number). Neither is good to me. Now I am wishing I had gone for a typical bed with springs. $2000 later for this bed and not happy. All I want is a good nights sleep, but not getting one.
  • I went and tested beds when it was time to buy a new one. I like a firm mattress and found the perfect one. I don't even remember what brand it is. I also sleep with a wedge under my knees which takes the stress off my back.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.