Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One month post op laminoplasty L4,5 in situ bone graft fusion

EllenEEllen Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I surely need feedback. It was titled as minimally invasive for the spondylolithesis and stenosis, but I am in a world of pain, more than I had pre op. Was at big Ny hospital, had top surgeon. He says MRI looks fine, no nerve compression, but sitting and lying down is a nightmare. No problem to stand or walk. Weird electrical like shocks and paresthesia on right outer thigh, pain down lateral aspect of left leg down to ankle, and my rear feels like it is on fire when I sit. Cannot take pain meeds they gave me, percocet, got hallucinations and complete loss of appetite. using ice packs. Does this ever go away? I am petrified that it won't. Was an RN many years so I understand the lingo, but there was no mention of all these possible effects. Would be helpful to know what others have done. Any input greatly appreciated!
Thanks Ellen

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    What exactally did the post op MRI say? .... I have the very same lumbar symptoms and have have been dx'd with a L4 bulge and an L5 herniation with extruded material and sequestered portion. You should maybe consider other pain meds and muscle relaxants. Also the ever popular off lable usage of neurotin and lyrica (many swear by them for nerve pain) they made me a zombie worse than ANY opiates.

Of course for me my primary issue is cervical .... I'm a bit new to the world of lumbar problems but I know that I will NOT proceed down the path a took with my cervical problems .... I use a cane .... find that elusive position of comfort and deal with the back pain and parathesia of my lower limbs and left foot.

Try EVERY conservitive treatment modality and get opinions from another Board Certified Ortho or Neuro that specializes in spinal surgery (the opposite of which ever specialty that did your first procedure).

Could all be from post op edema and pissed off nerves from all the recent activity. Remember ... Convalesce!!

I hope that you can find a way to reduce your symptoms without another more agressive surgery.

Keep us posted,

Warmest regards,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I answered your other post and generally, it's the rule here to only post in one area to get the most "bang for your buck" so to speak, giving us all one place to help you.

In any case, talk to your doc about an alternative med. Many of us have had to try different meds post-op to get the right one that helps.

The electric shocks could be your nerves revolting because of the very invasive surgery. After my lumbar surgery, I had pain that I never had pre-op to the point of needing a walker and having to have my hubby drag me downstairs and to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

You're still very early out from lumbar surgery and it take quite a while to heal and feel better. Generally speaking, post lumbar surgery you should start to feel normal at six months then fairly normal at a year. It's a really tough recovery from this surgery, so try to measure your recovery in weeks, not days.

You've got a ways to go before things will get better, but one day you should have a sudden realization that the pain your having is leftover surgical pain and not the pain that you had pre-op or during your first months of recovery.

Hang in there and try to be patient. Also try to walk as much as possible, but rest and work with your doc on trying to get some different pain meds that will work for you. They should understand and be willing to help you.

Take care and please keep us posted.
  • The MRI came back fine, so I believe I am suffering from inflamed nerves post procedure. Using some natural anti inflammatories, these pain meds gave me awful reactions. I did not realize the recuperation is so long. Trying to sleep is the worst,
    Many thanks for your input