Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What are the benefits of getting SSD ?

MsHumptyDumptyMMsHumptyDumpty Posts: 1,567
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Health Insurance Issues
My Dr and now my family are after me to apply for this.

I did go to the SS office a few years ago but never even filed 1 piece of paper as the lady told mer since I have been self employed my whole life I would not get anything. Is she correct?

I did not question it as I do not think I would get it even if she was wrong. I thought it was for people with no income.

Do they give you any health insurance with it?

I have really good insurance through the state. I pay for it like regular insurance. It is through a program for people who have a life long health issue that if they can get on going medical care can keep working. You have to work at least 20 hrs a week to keep it. It is cheap. I pay 41.00 a month and my highest copay is 2.00 for a office visit.

So I am not sure if SSD would really be any better for me.

But I know nothing about SSD and/or their benefits.

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.

• Being self employeed does not mean you will never qualify for SSD- as long as you paid your Medi and FICA taxes on the income you made and you have sufficient quarters to qualify you can apply for SSD.

Now, if you were self employeed and didn't pay taxes because it was all off the books, that means you have no qualifying quarters and would not qualify for SSD on your own income- you might be able to apply as a disabled spouse if your husband works/worked on the books, but I know little to none about that.

• Beth,

Clandy pretty well nailed it. If you haven't paid into SS over the years, and therefore don't have all your quarters, you are pretty much out of luck.

There is an area as a 'disabled spouse' (like for instance if you were a stay at home mom) to one who did/is paying to the system. If you go to the Social Security web site, you can look it up.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Insurance wise you are already getting a better rate than what you would get with medicare. Medicare the rate is $100 per month and it runs on a 80-20. You are lucky to live in a state that offers such a program as you have. I have insurance through the state but pay almost $800 per month, with a $2,500 deductible then max $7,500 out of pocket expense before they pay at a 100%. So yes you are already in a very good program. Why does your family want you to apply for SSDI? If your still able to handle the 20 hours a week and have good insurance, chances are you have not paid into fica and don't have enough credits. Now if your H is a low income earner you can apply against his but it would actually be medicaid insurance, which is a state program. Sense it is a state program the qualifications for each state are different.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    SSDI pays you a monthly benefit based on your past work history. BUT, if you wait too long you are no longer eligible for SSDI. This is DLI - Date Last Insured.

Every SSDI claimant has something called a DLI, or date last insured. The DLI is based on their work history and the number of work credits they have accumulated in the last five out of ten years. The DLI can basically be thought of as an expiration date for social security disability benefits.

When a "date last insured" lapses, or passes, a disability claimant, from that point forward, is no longer in the position of being able to win SSDI benefits based on their current disability status.

So if it's been a few years you need to scramble to be sure you are still eligible. 2 yr after your SSDI benefits begin Medicare kicks in.

for example:
    I went out of work 4/2009
    Company STD started 5/2009
    Company STD ended 10/2009
    Company LTD started 10/2009
    SSDI could begin as early as 10/2009
    If so Medicare begins 10/2011

SSDI has a mandatory 5 full mo waiting period so since I went out of work 4/2009 my waiting period is May, June, July, August and September of 2009.

Why You Want Social Security Disability Insurance
    1. Regular monthly income: SSDI is a regular monthly payment and some years has cost-of-living increases.
    2. Medical benefits: Regardless of your age, 24 months after your date of entitlement to SSDI benefits, you are eligible for Medicare, including Part A (hospital benefits) and Part B (medical benefits). A variety of Medicare Advantage plans are also available to you.
    3. Prescription drug coverage: Once you are entitled to Medicare, you are also eligible for Medicare Part D, the prescription drug plan.
    4. COBRA extension: If you receive SSDI benefits, the length of your COBRA benefits could be extended an additional 11 months.
    5. Long-term disability (LTD) benefits: If you have private long-term disability insurance, your provider may require you to seek SSDI. Complying with this requirement could help protect your ability to receive LTD income.
    6. Protected retirement benefits: When you reach retirement age, SSDI ends and you transition to Social Security retirement benefits. Social Security disability entitlement "freezes" Social Security earnings records during your period of disability. Because the years in which you collect SSDI benefits are not counted when computing future benefits, your Social Security retirement benefits may be higher than if your earnings were averaged over a greater number of years.
    7. Dependent benefits: If you receive SSDI benefits and you have a dependent under age 18, he or she also may be eligible for benefits.
    8. Return-to-work incentives: Social Security will provide you opportunities to return to work while still paying you disability benefits.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • My thanks to each of you - this makes a lot more sense to me now - much appreciated :)

Family & Dr want me to get it so I don't have to work the 20.00 hrs a week. It is hard for me to work BUT I can do the work. Plus I think it's good for me in many ways to keep working.

I did not pay into anything - my bad :(

She said I could only collect off of DH if he were dead. To which I responded "he is home sleeping and nothing wakes him up. Give me 15 minutes and when I come back I will qualify" :laugh:

Tam - OMG! :jawdrop: I feel "guilty" having it so good. I could never handle that high of a cost. I would be without insurance (again) if I lived in your state.

My thanks again to ALL of you for explaining this to me. I will just stay right where I am :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    If you've been working and have had FICA taxes taken out you are paying into the SS system If you go to SS they can tell you if you are eligible and if you are not, can show you why you are not. If you are self employed and chose not to pay into FICA then you would not be eligible for SSDI or SS Retirement.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos