Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie to site, but not to back pain

wustlwwustl Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone,

24 yr old female, 135 lbs. I've had back problems my whole life that my parent's blamed on falling off of a merry-go-round as a kid(unlikely since they both have back issues). It wasn't until about a year ago when I was training for my first marathon when I learned that the sciatica I was experiencing was from a herniated disc at L5-S1. My MRI showed two more buldges at L4-L5 and L3-L4 and schmorl's nodes at L2-L3 as well as DDD and my physical therapist suggested there may be additional problems in my sacroiliac joint. I couldn't rotate my torso without sending shooting pain down my right side. If I stepped off of a curb too quickly my whole body seized up. I once had to be carried up to my apartment because I couldn't move. I was devastated and missed my marathon.

I was on cortizone packs, had an epidural injection, did PT, decompression with a chiropractor 3 times a week, raised my work station to a standing desk, and trained with a pilates instructor twice a week.(I found the pilates to be the most helpful treatment but my instructor was especially knowledgeable about back injuries.) I even changed jobs and moved half way across the country to find a less stressful working environment. It was a slow recovery for me but in the last few months I've been feeling much better and have even started training for a sprint triathlon. I only run once a week these days but my family was right: it will get better.

Glad to have found this forum since my surgeon said it's very likely i will need surgery in the future, but i wanted to share my story in the hope that someone else may find pilates and decompression to be the relief they are looking for.

• I hard pilates we very helpful I think I will give them a try. I am trying to lose weight but it hard when you cant move off the couch if you know off any good dvd for exerices let me no please
  • hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. it is great that you have found pilates and decompression as a way to help your back pain..i do hope you get to run that marathon!! check out the "Alternative Treatment forum" for more input.. you have come to a great place full of positive people, some who have had surgery, some who have not.. but we all share the desire to help one another in our pain struggles whatever they may be.. so please stop by anytime! good luck! Jenny