Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Pain

bedawgsbbedawgs Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a L5-S1 PLIF in feb,And still having alot off dull pain in back,im curious if anyone who is having it.Ive been told by others who has had it does not experiance the pain im having.I cant even bend and get straight again without it hurting good.When does the dull achy pain go away?

• I don't think you should be bending at all after fusion surgery. You should use a grabber to reach anything and crouch down instead of bending. I hope someone who's had surgery can help you more. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I hope,Im having alot of nerve issues now and Im wondering if I have broke a screw.
  • Hi,

I had L5/S1 fused in march. Mine was anterior. I am still in a lot of pain but the doctor said when they got in (this is my 3rd fusion) the disc was too bad to keep so they put a spacer in and had to separate the vertebrae to do that. He also thinks a ligament could have been stretched. I received steroid injections 2-3 weeks ago. Am not sure they helped that much but am going to have more in another week or 2. I have never had this much pain with my other fusions (I have had anterior and posterior - 2 each - they should have installed a zipper!!). This feels like bone pain to me. Like you it is hard to bend. I don't bend as I am fused L1-S1 but I can only manage to squat down with a VERY straight back and a VERY straight back rising up.

Like I said I am seeing the doc in a week and a half and will talk more with him about it.

Let me know how you are doing.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • bedawgs,

Awaiting back surgery here, but like the good patient, have been doing a lot of research, and too of course, reading TONS (on here) on options in the lumbar area, to include post surgical -common- issues. From what I've seen, even one level - bending can cause pain and nerve irritation (as the nerves take a long time to heal) for a year or more.

You might want to get with your surgeon with your present issues to be sure all s well. He is paid the big bucks and went to school. I hope you find that all *is* well, and you are just overdoing it a bit. Please let us know how it goes.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Post Deleted Solicitation at Spine-Health is never permitted

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 06/29/11