Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Howe do they know?

startersstarter Posts: 43
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Im one week from my ACDEF surgery, Two new disks. I was in serious condition and once the MRI came in the doctor told me to be at the hospital in two days!
Its scary because i hae been walking around with a serious condition that COULD hae left me paralyzed and didnt know it till after somebody gae me a neck massage and the pain started. I walked about through medical red tape for two monthes on trams and soma.I was thinkingb i was just hacing bad back spasmas
Now im wondering.... how do the doctords tell if u are healing p[roperly? Do they do a another MRI? The exrays didnt show much except some arthritis so im wondering how my surgeon will know that all is healing properly. I dont know how long i hae been in this state. 7 years ago i had a slipped disk and foolishly after about two post op isists stopped going. I felt well and didnt understand the need to keep seeing the specialsit.
I went right back to him,, whne i beklied something was once again wrong whih chdidnt take long. but when i did they said my old info was in storage. I think its because of the internet,, I had to start oer and gie them al lthe details the wanted.

It was sweet thoyugh that my doctor remembered me! My husband didnt think he would.

• How are you feeling? On your two week checkup you will go get xrays. They don't need to see the discs anymore... they are gone! I had acdf on june 23rd. I have my 2 week tomorrow morning, getting xrays. They are going to look at the hardware and also look to see if bone is growing.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Did you have disc replacement or fusion?
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • This early in the game they are just checking to be sure the hardware is still in place and looks like it looked when they surgeon took his or her finally films in surgery. The can tell by the hardware were it is sitting if anything is going wrong that would be severe. So you can relax and just follow the surgeons orders for now. But if you were to feel something severe all of a sudden or something different then by all means ring the surgeons office that is what they are there for. Once you get closer to the time frame of a fusion to be sure they might order a CT scan. I been through this several times and those are the same standards I found with two surgeons.
  • Im feeling good. I ran out of my percocet last night! In the early morning hours the pain was starting to come back! Tight stiff,, and just so achy!
    Before i was diagnosed with ACDEF,,and i was in that inbetween phase of getting a MRI and haing my surgeion diagnose me ,,, i was told by the spine center that all meds would hae to come through my personal doctor,,, so he had me on tramdol. I fortunaltley had some left and took a few to tie me oer till i could call the clinic. Ther trams workewd good before the surgery,,,but are not strong enough to keep me comfortable post surgery, so they are being put away.I only took a few untill i could get my new script...filled. I guess next time i wont wait till the last pill is swallowed before i get anothe rperscription filled,
    The nurse and me talked and decided to go from percs to hydrocodene. I am gien 6o per script. I hae taken them and they are working,,The pain has gone away and im ok. Thanku for asking. Donna... i had the old disks scraped out and new ones out in. From a dead person... but they assured me they sterilse them. I didnt know one could donate thier bones.

They do ha-e a exray like de-ice in one of thir special rooms. The place i go to is called a spine and brain center,,, not really a school but not a clinic... sort a blending of the two. As soon as my doctor saw the MRI he looked worried and said i needed suregery. He wouldent put it off. It was turning into a emergency case, I was taken into this room and gien some kind of exray, So maybe this is going to be what they use to monitor my progress.
    7 years ago i had a slipped disk. One can watch the suregery on utube, Its really gross and the night before my surgery i was mesmerised watcing it so much my daughter wondered if i should watch it so much.. It was wierd and scary and felt this odd compulsion to watch it .
    MY anethelogist was sweet and funny and put me to rest though,,,( parden the pun) that i wouldent feel anything. I didnt. I dont knwo what they gie u to put u into such a state because one mind would go insane if u felt what they do,!

Two new disks,,, im feeling good as long as i take my pain meds. I cant yet shower only bath and i cant wash my hair. I cheated one day,, and put a garbage bag oer my collor and did a quickie wash to getthe oil out of my hair. I was careful and it wasent the best hair wash i hae had but i had to get the oil out, Friday they will take my stitches out and hopefully ill be alowed to take my collor off for 1 o minutes as i shower. IM real careful about my neck and i think i can be trusted to just stand still and letthe water rush oer my head and neck,

My husbund has cleaned my incision and put new bandages on it, Theres no redness only some itching and sometimes tingling.My apaetite is good > I ate a good dinner at the hsosital just a few hours fromw waking up!I was at the hospital two days and nights.
    There has been no horasness in my -oice box,,,no infeection, ...I had antibiotics pumped into me fro about 24 hours. I think it helped clear up a lingering sinus infection!

I just want them to keep on top of this because it seesm i had this for awiele but didnt knwow it. I was told it was getting to the point of dnager which meant paralyssis. My daughter gae me neck MASSAGE BECAUSE OF A BAD HEADACHE ONE DAY IN APRIL AND AFTER THAT MY NECK HURT.. this lead me to the Er then to my doctor then me going back to my neuro surgeon who hadent seen me in 7 years, I had to wait for the MRI all the wile walking around my spine a mess. Im still wondering why i didnt feel anything amiss till that neck rub( it felt good and the headcahe went away... normally a simple neck run dosent send ones back into spasma. I need to talk to him but hes busy and hard to nail down for lengethy talks.

My collor has bcome my best friend. Its soft and cushy and makes me feel protected.He had me fitted the day he got the MRI results. The problem isent really the back but the neck.

IM alright... peopel are p[raying for me and i Belie in healing from God. Im coming along. I just dont hae a high tolernece for pain... but this surgeon prescribed the hydrocodeins that if im careful and use them as little as i can without getting uncomfortable ought to last maybe two weeks, perhps 3. Im taking the flexril for the spasms nd i was taking dizapamen f or a nerous condition before all this and as a extra found out by a internet search that its also used as a muscle relaxer as well as anxiety.

Last time i had surgery i made the mistake of not keeping my follow ups., Not this time.Ill see him eery chance i get.
    by the way,,this busy and succesful doctor remembered me. Somehow i found that endearingly sweet.