Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Off to Surgery

ltstamplltstamp Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, I am off to my ACDF (C 3-4. 4-5, 5-6). I am really excited and cannot wait for the next few days to be over. I find that the first 2 days after surgery can be the toughest but you just have to get through it and then you just feel better and better every day.
I am so looking forward to reducing my pain! I think that it will make a huge difference for me.
I also want to thank everyone on here again for all their posts. This site has been a huge base of information for me: from recovery, procedures, medication, surgeries, alternative treatments, and diagnosis.

• We will all be thinking of you and awaiting your return to the forum with updates! Take care of yourself and do not push when you return home. Success is measured in large bites of time :) week to week, not day to day :)

take care
  • Wonderful!!! I wish you all the best and I will pray for you. Please post as soon as you can to let us know how you are doing!

ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Good luck on surgery today and let us know how you are as soon as possible. Take care and hopefully all of this will soon be in your past and you will be back out to a normal busy life.
  • I hope all goes well, your in my prayers.
  • Best wishes...keep up the positive attitude and re-read this afterward if you need to.

You are right, always gets a little 'rougher' before it gets better.

You'll do great!

• and wishing you a successful surgery and smooth recovery.

Looking forward to hearing that you are doing great. :-)

• Wishing you all the best today! Soon you will be on the recovery side of things. Take it easy, and let the healing begin. Please let us know how everything went, when you are able.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Here's hoping for a speedy recovery! :-)

• I decided to go home last night (the doctor gave me a choice). So I had the surgery at 11am and was home by 7pm. It is much nicer being at home though my daughter thought I was crazy. The pain is manageable though I will admit that the throat pain is difficult. I found that if I really concentrate on relaxing that swallowing was easier. Still eating soft foods.
    I am allowed to take off the Aspen collar for eating, showering and doing neck exercises. I'm about to do my neck exercises and am a little nervous.

I want to thank all the well wishes. I read them after I got home last night and it was nice to think that others were wishing me well during my surgery.
  • to see that everything went well with your surgery and that your pain is under control.

Take it easy,rest, be pampered. I agree that it was so nice to be back at home for recovery.

Thank you for updating us so quickly. Please continue to let us know how you are doing. Hope that the excersises went well.

All the best in your recovery.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012

• Now take it easy or you could so easily upset things and the pain will increase.
    Your body needs plenty of rest and a little bit of walking, slowly increasing.

Take good care of yourself and we will wait to hear more news of how you are doing.

• You are right about taking it easy. I have a tendency to push too much. I relaxed and watched a movie just now but it kills me to just do nothing. It is so easy to think you are feeling really good and do a little too much. I know that tomorrow my muscles will probably be at their worse so I need to take it easy.
    But I have cut down on my pain meds (yeah).
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    It's great that your surgery is over and your recovery is underway. Please take it easy and don't push it. Don't try to cut back on your meds to soon. I only had one level done so I'm sure that three is no picnic!

Hopefully this will only be a memory soon and you'll be good as new!

Take care,
  • Sounds as though you are doing well. But there is one thing I find very common with neck surgery patients. The post surgery pain is not to bad so it is very easy to over do it, and only to have set backs. If your bored I am sure your doctor recommended walking, so walk and when you think you have walked enough walk some more.

I am curious of one thing as to what type of neck exercises do they have you doing? When I had the hard brace they wanted absolutely no movement whatsoever, so just surprised at a Aspen and neck movement mixed together sounds like you will be in a soft collar in no time, at all. But I am happy it is all going so well for you, before you know it you will be back to a normal busy life.
  • I woke up this morning feeling the best I have in over two years and have been able to completely stop the pain meds. The numbness, burning and weakness in my arms and legs is completely gone! i also use to have a bulge on the side of my neck where I was completely out of alignment (scoliosis had set in) and it is gone though my daughter said my head is still a little tilted. I could barely walk before the surgery and now not a problem so this seems like a miracle. And yes I have heard that neck surgery is a piece of cake and I can attest that so far I am very happy.
    My daughter was laughing because I am up so early and have already taken care of the dogs. Going for a walk and then watch a movie.
    They said I will have this collar for 6 weeks:( But I have grown use to it. I am doing flexing (think right word) to front and back and then lateral side to side for 10 times three times a day for my exercise. I have to watch it because I feel so good I want to do 30 each!

My only issue has been swallowing. It still feels like there is a lump in there so I have found a neck position (slightly down) that helps me to swallow. Even water is tough going down and yesterday I had to cut my pills up to take them. I think this is normal but does anyone have any idea how long this will last?

So all in all I am so glad I had this surgery.
  • Happy to see that you're doing so well! Here's hoping my surgery and recovery will go as smooth!

• charlie6017 said:
    Happy to see that you're doing so well! Here's hoping my surgery and recovery will go as smooth!

I know it will. You already have lots of experience. Though I noticed you already had C5-C7 done just a few years ago. I know that fusion does cause weakness in the other discs.
    Good Luck! I hope you have a great result!
  • I think that is incredible news, if you don't need the pain meds don't take them. I think many whom don't do well from surgery, like me after my second surgery have a lot to do with we have permanent nerve damage. All the other surgeries I have done have not been done to fix the nerve damage but rather to stop further damage. So it sounds very promising if your pain free you will have no residual pain from the problem. Which in my world makes me so happy not to see anyone have to live like this. Many don't get told with myelopathy surgery will only stop progression of the disease but won't fix what has already happened, why I never want to see anyone end up with that condition.

You should continue to feel better and better each day and as has already been said this will be something of the distant past for you. But keep posting as I think positive stories are good to hear. Those of us whom stick around are usually the ones who are left with myelopathy and permanent nerve damage, which are never ending cycles.
  • YAY...so glad things are going well.
    Just take it easy...you need the full time to recover even if you are feeling fantastic.

I'm thrilled for you!

• It sounds like you have had a successful surgery. :D
    Now you just need a successful recovery. You are under way in that.

What were your original symptoms and diagnosis.

I am going to try conservative methods in an attempt to avoid surgery on my neck.
    Always encouraging to read of other members who have had surgery that has given them the relief they hoped for.

I have significant spondylosis from C3 to C7, with C3/4 and C4/5 compressing my cord. As I don't have symptoms of serious myelopathy, we are doing a 'wait and watch' for 6 months. I do wonder what my future holds, but am trying to remain optimistic.

Keep up the good healing :-)