Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

seizing up

catsinc3ccatsinc3 Posts: 42
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Chronic Pain
hi,not sure if im in right area?just after some advice tips.im 3 days pot microdisect l5-s1 suffered 8 months of sciatic pain,weakness,numbness,limp my question is does any1 know why or how to prevent my back toatally seizing up whilst in bed sleeping?it did this pre op but i could manouvre little biyt at a time and turn over now i wake as i need to turn anything from 2hrs to 5 and im completely stuck!can move enough to get me water to take meds.spent an hour this morn doing so.my legs move and arms just my bacl locks,im afraid to push it too hard incase i do more damage.once i take anti inflam and parcetamol&codeine wait half hour and i can slowly drag myself out of bed,another 20 mins and i can stand up straight!!if i had a fire i would burn in my bed as i can not move!i take an anti inflam b4 bed but im only allowed to take 2 a day of them and they dont last all day!any ideas tips much appreciated :) thankyou

• it is meant to say i CANT move enough to be able to take meds (by my bed)took me over an hour this morning as i couldnt lift my head and shoulders off the bed to be able to sip the water..i should have previewed b4 i posted lol lots of typos sorry :(
  • HI,
    Wow, you are really post-op and your back is "seizing" from having surgery. Things have to be moved around and the muscles and nerves need time to heal. This may continue for a while longer.... Sorry to say that...
    Try sleeping on your side, with a pillow betwen your knees. It will take the pressure off your lower back.
    And when you try to get up, roll onto your side try to lift yourself with your arm to a sitting position....wait a few seconds, then try to get up...best way I've found to move... Hope it works for you too! Let us all know how you are doing!
  • Hey catsinc, are you log rolling out of bed? You can half log roll to sit up and get to your nightstand. This move doesn't make your back move at all if done correctly. In fact, you should be doing it all the time getting in and out of bed or of the couch while you're recovering.

• i do sleep on my side but i dont stay still i have always turned over quite a few times during the night and wake up with hedgehog hair lol.i tried putting a pillow/cushion under and between my knees but it makes my back uncomfortable.i cant lever myself onto my arms as my torso is dead!it will not move either to roll or raise myself.i have no idea what a log roll is lol i wasnt shown how to get up or down or how to get out of bed.my back does a similar thing when ive been sitting for around 5 mins although not complete seizure i have to push up with arms very slowly and straighten slowly,i then shuffle about hunched up for around 5 mins then it loosens up and i can walk tall.obviously i was comfy last night as i slept for around 5hrs solid banked in with pillows to prevent me trying to turn every hour therefore waking every hour.aarrrrrrrrrgggghhh its scarey!!thankyou for your suggestions though.:)
  • Hi. I have had this problem for over 5 years. I had end stage degeneration of the L5S1 disc and have just had fusion a week ago. I found after an hour in bed I would seize up - the muscles did this to protect the spine in lieu of the disc and then wouldn't uncramp. The only solution I found (and I tried everything!) was to either sleep in a recliner so I was fairly upright and this supported my back so the muscles didn't seize, or used foam wedges behind my back and under my knees so I was lying in bed in a similar position. The fusion seems to have stopped the muscles from going into spasm as it has stabilised the area and I am now sleeping flat in the bed without pain. Hope this helps!
  • I am no dr but what you describe after just a micro which is not as invasive as a fusion it should not be what you describe i dont think. I would call the dr because symptoms as you describe would be more comon after a fusion so micro should nor create such issues. At least not as far as i know. Most do fearly well with the partial removal of the disc because its no where near as invasive as some other procedure so i would maybe be concerned whats going on. As you probably already know they usualy try the micro to try to save the disc but not always posible.

I mean sure after fusion you will lock up real easy even while sleeping. Many times i wake up after my fusion and feel i was beat with a baseball bat and you cant understand how is my body hurt this bad when i am trying to sleep and wake up feeling like this.

But my point being i hope iam wrong but you should not feel like that after what you had done unless surgery failed all together posibly. I hope not. Unless i read wrong of what procedure you had. Which would be no suprise cause me hurting real bad at the moment with nerve flare up so if a read your post wrong then just disregard my response. Best of luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • hi,thx for the input..ive sloved it!the gp prescribed me diazapam (muscle relaxant)i took 2 last night and slept on the sofa and woke stiff obviously but not stuck!!RESULT i also now use a hot water bottle when sitting and bed time and this seems to really help stop the muscles seizing.i have no choice but to sleep on my side as i have clips in my incision and i cant!lie on them which is also making doing my exercises rather difficult im managing by using a very soggy pillow but they come out on thurs so should be much better then and i can fianlly have a shower!!!!!!!! :) :)
  • marz_t12_burstmmarz_t12_burst Posts: 2
    edited 06/06/2014 - 7:41 AM
    I have a incomplete spinal cord injury and I can walk with a walker, or toddle without one, it is almost two years since my injury and I am waking up with my back and legs totally seized up, I do not know what is causing this. The seizing started about a year ago where I would wake up and I would be very stiff and my body felt like I was carrying 1000 pounds on my back. Now my legs are so stiff I can barely straighten them. I do take Baclofen a muscle relaxant before bed and it does nothing to solve the problem. I have talked to my doctors about this on several occasions and they say it is from my injury. However I was not like this when I left the hospital. I am getting worse daily, any suggestions as to what could be causing this would be helpful.
    Thank you all for your time in reading this post.
  • Are your diagnostic tests recent? It's worth checking that nothing new is going on. I've found that stretching (with heat) before bedtime helps a little. Do you have a routine of light exercise & stretches from physical therapy? I know it's hard but keeping our bodies moving, the best we can, is often the best therapy. Have you tried ice or heat in the morning before getting out of bed or sleeping with heat or a tens unit?

I take Baclofen 3x a day & I find it a good muscle relaxant.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    This is a very old thread, for best support and information I suggest you make a new thread, you can do this by clicking on 'create forum post' on the left column.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery