Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here, not to pain...

mthomsenmmthomsen Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:55 AM in New Member Introductions
Hey there - I'm new to this forum (obviously), but from the brief scan it looks like a good place, and I need to... I don't know, vent? talk? something.

I'm 34 now, and I have had back pain off and on for about 12 years. Started off as an itermittent thing, every couple of months, but it was no big deal. Got worse after 2 years or so, to the point where it hurt more often than not. First couple of years, the docs would just give me Rx for painkillers and/or muscle relaxants, which helped some.

As time went by, it's steadily gotten worse; for the last 2 1/2 years it's been all but constant, and still getting worse.

I've had scans done (most recently about 2 years ago), and I have 2 bulging discs, a couple of vertebrae that don't line up right (but aren't unstable, thank goodness), a couple of little annular tears, discs that are pretty low and some narrowing of the nerve channel. Basically a whole bunch of problems all in my lower 2/3 lumbar discs and thereabouts.

In the past 10 years, I've done multiple sessions of PT (including a round of the hardcore back group they called "boot camp for back pain"), cortisone injections (by the disc and in the facet joints), massage therapy, chiropractor visits and so on and so forth. None of the neurosurgeons I've seen want to touch anything surgically (at least as of 2 years ago).

Here's the deal here and now. I'm on a fairly heavy amount of painkillers to even get through the day. I can't get dressed without help, I can't wash my own feet, can't play soccer with my kids (or even go on a walk with them), can hardly handle a day at the office. The past 3 months, the pain down my butt, hip and leg has gotten to the point where I can't even get up out of a chair without help most of the time. I'm wearing out my right shoes at an absurd pace, 'cause I can't even lift my foot enough to walk normally anymore.

Anyway, I know, tl;dr for the wall o'text above. My life sucks right now. I'm stuck on pills I don't want to be able to do nothing I want to be able to do. I don't know what else to do at this point, and I don't know how much longer I can deal with this without losing my mind. I feel like such a burden on my family. I just want this pain to STOP for a while.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't have anywhere else I feel like I can just spew it out like that, and I needed to.
advertisement

Comments

• You really need to see a Dr again. And get a MRI done. It could be nerves damage. But you do really need to see a dr.

Jim
  • Yeah, I'm going back next week. I strongly suspect that (as the last few times I've gone) they'll just try to give me more or stronger painkillers. At least that's better than the last doc I had 3 years ago, who called me a drug-seeker.

I'm really hoping they'll do something. Don't even know what else there is at this point, though.
  • Yeah, I'm going back next week. I strongly suspect that (as the last few times I've gone) they'll just try to give me more or stronger painkillers. At least that's better than the last doc I had 3 years ago, who called me a drug-seeker.

I'm really hoping they'll do something. Don't even know what else there is at this point, though.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have come to the right place to let your feeling out!! we do understand how you are feeling and yes, it sounds like things are pretty bad for you right now.. perhaps being around others who feel pain as you do will make you feel alittle better.. many times, it really does help!! i wish i had a magic answer for you but just to let you know i hear you i hope helps!! good luck to you! stop by the forum anytime! Jenny :)
  • Welcome to spine health. You sound like you are having a very hard time. The fact that your foot is now dragging sounds alot like nerve damage. Do you have any numbness, tingling?

The doctor that you are seeing, are they a fellowship trained orthopedic or neurosurgeon? Two years is a long time to not have had an MRI. Maybe you could talk with your doctor about getting a more recent one to see what is going on. I know for myself, my MRI showed a huge change with my condition the 8 months between the two.

All the best at your appointment. Please let us know how you make out. We are here to listen and support!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Welcome! this is a great place to learn, vent, and find more Spineys to talk to. I think you may be me! I put up with it for 12 years and the last 2 years I had the dragging foot, etc. Then anotyher car accident and the OTHER leg started having problems!

I would SWEAR I have cotton ballsw stuffed between my toes and then some huge boot steps on it! I never had that on the other foot.

The Dr.s have finally decided to fix it instead of just giving me more and more drugs.

I would suggest you find a Dr. to actually FIX the problem, not just pile meds on you!
    Good luck! I hope you get what you need. :)
    Celia,
    ALIF L3-5 Aug '11, butress plates added pos. Feb '12, 2013 revision decompresive laminectomy L3-SI, removal of hardware, exploration, allograft, instrumentation and possible bone morphogenic protein (BMP) 3rd times the charm!
advertisement