Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I really need your help tonight

catccat Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello...I'm new this week....I'd love to hear from anyone who has had C7T1 fusion. I'm 11 weeks post surgery and having very tight burning trap muscles on left side...nothing relieves it. I notice those who have C 4,5,6 don't mention
trap pain/burning as much this late in recovery. When I study the chart of nerve C7T1 its location is in the trap area and maybe this is why I feel it more there? C456 are higher in the neck. Anyway, I want a comforting word that this trap burning will ease with time...is 11 weeks too early? Thanks to all.

• I'm sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. My traps are still tight and burning even though I'm almost 6 months out. I also have pain on the left side. I was told that full recovery is around 1 year. Try not to get discouraged. I get extremely anxious when pain returns, but just know that you are very early in your recovery. Have you tried ice or heat? Are you on any meds and are you still taking them? Some meds will give you withdrawal symptoms if you suddenly stop taking them. Are you overdoing things? I found that making the bed would take me out. Keep a diary of what you did the days that you feel more pain and perhaps you will discover activities that trigger it.

If you truly feel that things are just not right, you should always contact your surgeon. Most of the time they will tell you it's nothing to worry about. In the meantime, I hope you can find a way to control your pain.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Thanks...I could take more pain meds but try to take them every 4 hours....do you do any exercises? I have a pulley from PT and a few light exercises but it doesn't release the knot feeling...do you think the knotted muscles essentially remain that way for the earlier months of recovery no matter what you do? I've read those who have massages find the tightness comes right back. Does only passage of time ease this?
  • I am c4-5 and still having it really bad at 6 weeks post op.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • The exercises can actually give you more knots, but that's also normal. Your muscles are so weak that they will knot up until you start to gain more strength. Massage does work, but it is temporary. If you massage regularly, the muscles will stay relaxed longer.

I was told by my PT that it takes months before the muscles will be "normal". I'm jealous that you can take meds. I can not stomach any narcotic and even ibuprofen can be irritating for my stomach. Feel free to keep asking questions or you can PM me. Hang in there!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Did your surgeon say how long they would last? Thanks.
  • sorry you can't take pain meds....maybe just Tylenol? thanks for your kind comments....I'm trying more heat right now. best wishes.
  • Do you take any muscle relaxants? One might work better than just pain meds for relaxing the muscles. Heat also helps me, massage and using my TENS. I also get trigger point injections, which numbs the area for a few hours which gives me some relief for that time. You are still pretty early out, just try to be patient, and the knots should go away with time.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own