Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DianneDDianne Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have been in severe pain for 2 years. I have ddd and bulging discs and leg pain. I am currently going to a pain clinic and have had 2 rounds of 3 epidurals, RFA and am on vicodin and soma. I cannot sit for more than 10 minutes nor stand. I feel I am missing out on everything in life. I am 65 years old. I have been to neuro dr and he suggested spinal fusion and ordered me to have an emg and this showed no nerve damage. He changed his mind at that point and suggested the pain clinic. Nothing is working. Is anyone else out there feeling hopeless for no relief of pain?

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

What kind of pain are you having? I think it's strange that first this doc wanted to do a fusion and then not because there's no nerve damage. But then again, he's a neuro and basically we all have ortho problems causing neuro problems.

I think if I were in your situation I'd look for a fellowship-trained ortho surgeon, one that only works on spines and get a second opinion. If that doc wants to do surgery, then I'd seek one more opinion so you have the support of two doctors saying the same thing.

Yes, there are many on here that feel helpless and trapped, but if you can advocate for yourself, find the right doctor, and get a plan of action, then you can get out of that cycle.

I wish you luck and hope you seek out another opinion. Please keep us posted, ok?

• Sorry you having such pain issues. Emg dont always show everything. Even mri dont always find whats causing the pain. It could be discogenic from the disc causing pain. And only way they can find that issue is discogram test. It took many years before the finaly did a discogram on me which confirmed disc was leaking and emg or mri never showed anything. Good luck. Get many opinions to get the correct finding on making sure they find the correct pain generator.

My pain dr is who does the discograms so you might want to ask your pain dr if he thinks its worth checking the disc
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Thanks for your reply. My pain is mostly in my low back and my right leg and buttocks. Some days it so hard to keep going. I can't sit for any length of time nor stand. My leg pain ends at my knee. My lumbar is worse at L2 L3 with severe degeneration and the rest is moderate. Thanks again.
  • I have been having back and leg pain for two years. Been to many doctors and had series of epidurals, RFA. and finally had my third MRI. I have a severe buldge at L5-S1. I am scheduled for discectomy on Oct. 27th. The doctor is optimistic that this will work. I surely hope so. I am not sure what to expect for recovery time. Has anyone had this surgery and could give me some advise and hope. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.