Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain For 1 Year and 9 Months - No Relief In Sight!

LyFeWoRxLLyFeWoRx Posts: 4
Hey Guys,

I have been searching on the internet and trying to find a forum that users maybe having the same problem I'm having.

At the start of 2010 I was involved in a car accident where a car pulled out in front of me while i was going around 35-40mph. Every since the accident I have had lower back pain.

I have tried the following so far.

Chiropractic - 7 months.
Physical Therapy - 3-4 months.
Physiatry - 3-4 months
More Chripratic and Acupuncture along with massages - 3 months

During this time I also had

2x - MRI lower back
1x - MRI mid back
1x - Blind Injection for numb pain
1x - Guided CT Injection for pain
2x - X-Rays
1x - Disco Gram
Countless traction and physical therapy sessions.

About 3 months ago I met with a Neurosurgery and he recommend a discogram since the MRI showed nothing and I tested positive in the lower S1 joint and I was a candidate for disc replacement. This is what sprung the IME from the insurance company.

It's to the point where my insurance company made me go to an IME which said I could no longer due to Chiropractic and now they made me go to another IME/Neurosurgery who said everything is fine and i'm at my pre-accident status and the bulging disc in my back was from a previous accident?! I have never had a previous problem with my back.

They explain the popping on my lower back when I move my left leg up and down or why it's numb all the time from my thigh all the way down to my ankle or when I push my hips forward I have a sharp pain in my lower back.

At this point i'm not sure where to go, my lawyer wants me to go back to the doctor and talk to them about a bulging disc in my L4 area and see if it's related to the pain my leg. So far I have had no luck with doctors.

Here is the exact symptoms i'm having.

Pain when I push my pelvis area forward - Lower Back S1 area.

numbness that radiates down my left leg mainly on the side to the front of the knee and in my ankle, it feels like my ankle can't move. Yesterday I positioned my back in a way that hurt, but i fell a sleep and woke up with the pain on the right side instead of the left side. This same thing happened when they did the discogram and the day after the pain returned back to the left side.

Any help is appreciated!
advertisement

Comments

• Consisting of mild articular facet degeneration and a mild broad-based disc bulge producing narrowing of the ventral subarachnoid space and mild bilateral neuroforaminal narrowing.

What does that mean? Could this be why my leg and back are killing me?
  • Consisting of mild articular facet degeneration and a mild broad-based disc bulge producing narrowing of the ventral subarachnoid space and mild bilateral neuroforaminal narrowing.

What does that mean? Could this be why my leg and back are killing me?
  • My issues just started about 3 weeks ago. I have pain in my right leg that consist of pain in between my knee and ankle with the big toe numbness. It feels like my ankle is broken after trying to walk 3 minutes then i get a stabbing pain in my calf which I can't walk when that happens. I have a bulginh dis on L-5 with bilateral neuroforaminal narrowing impegement on the nerve roots.

This is pain like no other but thankful I'm not as bad as others in this forum.My heart goes out to everyone here.

I have tried accupuncture, will be seein a chiro tomorrow. neuro said next step would be ESI's. i'm going to request PT since I have severe weaknees on the leg too.

I wish you the best and hope you get pain relief very soon.
  • My condition and symptoms are different to yours so I do not understand exactly what your MRI means but, to answer your next question, the terms 'facet degeneration' and 'disc bulge' suggest to me some form of sciatica – where the nerve is touched and irritated, which explains the pain elsewhere in your leg.

• The doctors don't seem to think it's related. They say it's very mild.
  • Sciatica can be very mild, mine didn't bother me much for the first month. Now it's constant pain - which has moved around a few times, producing different symptoms and levels of leg pain, though the source remains the same (bulging S1/L5). It is possible, though rarer, to have symptoms in both legs...

So, although your doctors might be right, I still think you should read more about sciatica – there's a good Sciatica Interactive Video on this site for instance, as a starter. I will also lead you to related or similar conditions and perhaps you can discuss your findings with your doctors next time.

In any case, ask them to explain your MRI thoroughly... It might take time and more tests to finally get the correct diagnosis, but it'll help that you do your own research and understand things yourself.
advertisement