Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Involuntary twitching anyone?

AlistairAAlistair Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Sleep Problems
Ive been taking a sustained release morphine in conjunction with a rapid release morphine for about 10-11 months. When i crawl (and i mean crawl) into bed i begin my daily routine of waking my wife up every other minute with huge involuntary twiches. its not a constant thing as it might start with an arm then a leg then a whole body like a convulsion. It is very weird as i only twitch when im in bed trying to do this thing that ive heard is really good for you called sleep.

Im guessing this is just a side effect of the morphine, but does anyone else experience it and is there anything i can do about it?

• Oh yeah, I have this too. It was worse when I was taking methadone but I have had twitches for years now. Mine is mostly in the legs, just kicking all over the place after I get in bed. Sometimes my whole body contorts. Usually stops after a few minutes.

One time recently I got into bed and lay on my back and folded my arms across my chest like I was in a casket...........next thing I now I delivered a karate chop to my chin!

Do you ever feel like you could stop them? For some reason I think I can but it never works.
  • Hi and welcome. If you never had the twitching before untill taking this drug then i guess it could be side affect of some sort,

I had the same kind of twitching in both of my legs for years when i would lay down.
    Along with back pain for many years soon as i would lay down to rest, lower part of my body would spazm almost to the point where i thought it would cause my lower back to break in half.

After many Dr,s could not find any serious spine issues, i was forced to see a neuro at one of the top hospitals in the world. Mayo clinic in rochester M.N.

They tested for everything under the sun and finaly confirmed it was autoimmune dissorder called Proprial Spinal Myoclonus. Antibodies were attacking the spinal cord not protecting it as whats it is ment to do.

I am not saying you have this, but if its not from the drugs you are taking then this might be something to keep in mind and talk to your neuro about.

Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I think it is from the pain meds but to be honest I don't remember what life was like before my injury. I'm going in for fusion surgery on Thursday 15th so I've got everything crossed that it helps give me some relief.
    Thanks guys

• I have also have them!!! Wohoooo! Well I don't have them anymore but I think it was my meds, anxiety and especially it happened more when I did not sleep well.

I also think but this might be a crazy thought, that is your body trying to adjust the electricity in your spine, since we have spine changes.

• you said sustained release morphine. do you mean sustained release dilaudid (hydromorph contin)? i think they might be the same, dilaudid is just a synthetic morphine. i happen to get pretty violent leg and arm jerks to the point where i kicked my cat once and hit my hand on the tv on the nightstand. i never really thought of it being medication associated, but perhaps it is. maybe i should check the side effects, but anyway, yeah i get these jerks too, in both my arms and legs
  • I sometimes sit, or say...lay down for a tiny nap, and I get the occasional "arm or leg" jump or twitch. Not sure if I am ticking off a nerve or what the deal is. It is not rhythmic, it just..."occurs?"

I think some of it sure can be our meds....but sometimes just fussy nerves! See what your doctor says based on what is kicking on your spine issues... *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Well i will be able to find out soon as the doctor is going to start weening me off the morphine. The sustained release morphine is called E-mslon. Not sure if it's synthetic or not but I'm in New Zealand so we may well have different drugs.
    Twitching is still going strong even after operation but as I say the doc is pulling me off the morphine so fingers crossed I might get some sleep without kicking my partner out of bed hahahahaha
  • Oh, it's absolutely from the medication.  I have been on morphine IR and ER and Oxycontin ER for 2+ years now due to severe nerve pain in my back and butt,  and I get the jerks. As long as I know that it's not damaging me permanently, it's kinda funny.  I'll have my hand holding something and then my hand goes zooming out, like I'm a puppet.  Very odd sensation, but doesn't hurt.
  • I take oxycodone at a relatively low dose & have for about a year & a half. About 6 months ago I started noticing leg twitching at night. It's not usually that bad, and occasionally my arms twitch too. Never asked Dr about it because it isn't bad enough to be disruptive for me.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Hello ameliapond

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.

Please click on this link for useful information

Welcome to Spine-Health

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
This discussion has been closed.