Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Going crazy!!!!

SplendagrrlSSplendagrrl Posts: 108
I am going crazy with pain in my legs every night, I can't take it!!! The more pain I am in the more pain pills have to be taken and the less sleep I get. Have a pinched nerve in back causing nerve pain in the legs. I can't take much more, I need some rest!,, ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Splendagirl, I understand what you are saying about nerve pain in the legs causing sleep issues.

I don't know what the answer is, but I'll tell you a few things I do to help.

I take a long hot bath after taking my night medicine. Hopefully the meds will have kicked in at about the time I am ready to get out. My legs are relaxed and feel okay at that point. If I go straight to bed, I can sometimes get 2-3 hours of straight sleep at that point. Hot baths are important for my leg pain.

I use a product called Sombra and rub it on my legs in the night. It seems to settle the pain down and I can keep my legs still long enough for me to fall asleep again.

My Heating pad is on almost all the time. I just bought a new one that can wrap around the leg and velcro together. It was about $30. The heat helps the legs to be less jumpy and I can eventually relax and sleep for a couple of hours again.

If all else fails, I go sit in the recliner, or lay on the couch. Usually I can grab a few minutes sleep after changing positions.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
    so many times can not be helped using pain medications.
    For many, nerve medications such as Neurontin or Lyrica are needed.

But that is something only you and your doctor can figure out.

I have the leg problems most at night. My legs ache, I wind up rubbing them, beating them, etc trying to make them feel better. Getting up and walking helps, but almost as soon as I return to a seat, the pain comes back.

Like Cindy, I find warm moist heat to help. I a lucky enough to have a hot tub. I will spend time in there to relax my legs and generally reduce the pain.

I can understand your feeling about going crazy. I've been there and am still there. Right now, as I am typing, my legs are tingling and burning from my knees down.

At times, I found that ice also helps. Whatever works for you, that is what you are seeking.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have constant pain, whether laying down or standing up (can't sit), but not too much problem falling asleep! once I found the least uncomfortable position. However I sometimes take Diazepam (valium) when going to bed to help me relax. It takes a bit of the pain away by relaxing the muscles, plus helps with any anxiety or distress I might feel about my condition.

It's addictive and I believe could cause depression when stopping it, so I don't take it every night, only if I can't take my mind off the pain, or I might cut the pill in half or quarter to avoid building up a tolerance.

Going to bed is always a long ritual, especially as pain increases by the evening, I have to gently massage my back for ages for the pain to calm down (I do this laying on my front) and I guess it's also about relaxing the mind - otherwise, no falling asleep...
  • I have the same issue at night. I have a stabbing pain in my R ankle and R calf that is constant when laying down. I'm able to feel better by laying on the couch on my L side with my leg totally propped up on the pillows and I also take a valium. I understand how you feel.