Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help with reading mri

Veronica524VVeronica524 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Please help I have severe pain in left shoulder arm and numbness in fingers and forearm MRI reads

At c3-4 small central posterior disc herniation that approaches however does not encroach upon the spinal cord.

C6-7 there is a broad based disc herniation with a moderately large left poster lateral component. There is encroachment upon the anterolateral aspect of the cord with posterior displacement and flattening of it's left anterolateral contour. There is displacement of the left c7 nerve root. There also appears to be encroachment upon the right neural foramen. There is no focal stenosis.

I had acdf on c4-5 and c5-6 in 2009. I have 3 kids and only functioning because of medication I am on. Do you think this will heal this time on it's own? After my 1st surgery stopped dropping things but pain was ,worse so I want to try and stay away from surgery if I can.

Thank you for your help!

• Hi Veronica. Sorry you still having so much pain. Sorry we are not allowed to realy read mri for your dr will have to go over the mri with you.

Even dr,s dont always agree and each dr might have diferent opinions of the mri findings. Its way too complicated for us to just guess what the problem could be.

Welcome to spine health and hope they find a way to help you soon. Many members here have had surgery and continue to have further complications.

I am lower back surgery so dont know much about the neck issues. But you will find many who also had neck done. Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • as Alex says we aren't allowed to comment on medical photography .but your consultant should be able to give you some idea of whats going on in there .do you have a follow up date to see some one about you recent MRI? over here in the uk our MRI scans are explained to us on the follow up visit or if they spot anything urgent they will tell you on the day.
    you may wan to see your doctor so he/she can advice you on pain control? good luck
    tony {UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I have broad based herniation of c6-7 that displaced nerve root on left also encroachment on cord with displacement and flattening of contour. Does anyone suffer from this and if so will the numbness and sever arm pain go away with time or am I making things worse by putting off surgery? I get all different answers from doctors some say surgery others say try epidurals. I had 2 level fusion in 2009 and I want to avoid surgery again but I don't want to take a chance with paralysis.

Thank you for any advice you can give.
  • As Alex and Tony both explained, interpretation of any type of imaging study is best left to your doctor. Here on these forums we are a collective of patients with a wide variety of backgrounds and experience when it comes to injury or trauma to the spine. For your own personal safety, no member should attempt to decipher the findings of your MRI report. I understand the frustration of different doctors having different opinions, or having to wait for your next appointment to get some answers.

No one disc herniation is the same and what may be a painful problem for you, may not effect the next 10 people at all. Your doctor is going to rely heavily on his hands on evaluation and interview with you in conjunction with what he sees on your imaging studies.

Is it possible that your condition could get worse without surgery ... well as with all of us, that's the $86 million dollar question. That's where building a solid and trusting relationship with your doctor is so important. You've got to be able to have confidence in the doctor's recommendation.

Write down all your questions and concerns and bring the list with you to your next doctor's appointment.

Welcome to Spine Health.