Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

talented12ttalented12 Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
One week after cervical spine surgery. All went well,I'm home and doing ok. A little stiffness in shoulders and a little pain in neck. Other than that all is well.

• I hope that everythings goes good for you :)
  • Thank you Heidi, Ill keep posting my results as time goes by.
  • Hi - what levels did you have done? I had a 3 level ACDF on 8-29-11. I'm almost 4 weeks post op. First 10 days I lived on the pain meds, slept 15 plus hours a day. Felt pretty good for several days after that. About day 17 I started with the muscle spasms bad. And that brought along left or right arm going numb or pins and needles. I was very scared of what was happening. Doc said it is normal. Thankfully last 2 days no muscle spasms and I can use my arms pretty well. I sure hope that is the last of them. I've read that the spasms can easily last a year sometimes. But even with that, the pre-op pain I had is gone. So I do not regret the surgery at all.

• Hi Sandy,
    I had a 4 level, C4-C7 with plate and screws. For a few days after the first week I had pain in my left arm when I lay on my right side, had to prop my left arm up on pillows to stop the pain. I also had spasms, which were existent before surgery. When I went for my 2 week post op, they said it will get better and it did. However I still get spasms in my fingers when I comb my hair but it's not Asa bad as before surgery. I'm glad I got the surgery because it was killing me daily to walk on eggshells due to what could happen if I fell, slipped or moved wrong.

Thanks for sharing your story with me. Keep me informed of your progress and I will do the same.

• Thats great, good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • We both had the same surgery - I call it 3 levels - but should I be calling C4 to C7 4 level surgery? You are 2 weeks behind me in the post op process. I'll be 5 weeks this monday - my surg was 8-29.

I've had some bad nights lately but that is due to the muscle spasm medication Microcarbomol I take for muscle spasms probably. I've always had IBS and it is all out of wack since the surgery. I take 750 mg of the muscle spasm meds twice a day. It makes me very dizzy, sleepy and nausea if I don't have a good full stomach! I get this spinning feeling - so wierd. I can't believe anyone would do this to themselves on purpose!

For the last few days the muscle spasms seem to be getting lighter. But now my arm is jumping by itself, very odd! I'm sure it is all nerve related. Hey how much did you grow in your surgery? I've been 5 ft and 1/4 of an inch for as long as I can remember. Now I measure 5' 2"!! Amazing. But I was bone to bone - that is why I'm probably having the crazy spasms. I still have arm issues, they seem a bit better the last few days than last week.

I can just barely turn my head. I'm not driving as I'm scared to with my neck like this! I got this huge 17" rear view mirror on amazon - cheap, I think it was $25

I can just about everything with it! I have a sebring convertible, so there are huge blind spots. I still cannot see just a bit on the right side, but I can see it in the right side mirror. I'm sure I'll feel more comfortable with using this big ol honking mirror!

How are you feeling - are you out and about? Where do you live. I'm near Orlando, FL. So I've actually went to some Disney parks to exercies (but of course no crazy rides)..

I get my xrays next week - and 10/7 go see the doc. If I'm still having the spasms I'll likely ask to be out a bit longer. I'm on STD with my job now.

• Wow Alex, I'm sorry you are having so much pain and ongoing trouble. I hope they find a way to make you comfortable where you can at least enjoy life with little to no pain.

Thanks for the well wishes
  • Yes we did, and yes, that's what my doctor and the social worker called it.
    I take Tylenol 3 for the pain, percks, and tramadol for the muscles.

I haven't had any problem with my muscles jumping since surgery. But it did happen once before my surgery, it was my right arm.

I haven't had my height checked yet, I go Monday to my PCP and all that will be done. I'm sure it's because the discs were deteriorated. I hope your pain and spasms get better.

I can't turn my head very far either, and I'm not driving as of yet. I'm waiting for my six weeks. I don't want to move too fast and disturb anything.

I feel ok, a little pain now and then. I haven't had to use any pain meds for two days now, so that's a good thing. However I take them when I feel a slight pain so it doesn't get too bad. I have been having some breathing difficulties, which is new. So I now use an inhaler. Sometimes laying down is uncomfortable so I sleep sitting up some nights.
    My neck often feels stiff and my incision is still a little swollen.

I live in Delaware county, and I take walks up and down the block. Today I went food shopping, but only got a small load.

I don't go back for crags until the 24 and then to see the neurosurgeon on the 28. But I feel good for the most part.
    I will look into the mirror, thanks for that info.

I'll write back soon and you do the same.
  • Post Edited by Authority Member Liz