Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Who has the pain pump?

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Chronic Pain
I am seeing my PM doc this morning and I am really sick of the monthly visits and run around every month. The pain pump was offered to me at one time but I always felt I would eventually no longer need meds so I declined. Well that hasnt been the case. Ive come to the conclusion that my pain is here to stay and am considering talking to my PM doc about the pump. Does it work for you? Do you still need breakthrough meds? Where is it placed and how noticeable is it? How often do you need refills? LOL. I guess what I am asking is "Is it worth it?" Thanks for any advise or experiences anyone can give me.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    that Patwhite101 has the pump
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi Susan, I too am thinking about getting a pump...I sent you a PM with some info...hope it helps.
  • Anyone who is a canadate for scs should have a scs trial first before the pain pump,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I asked my dr about pain pump he said there no good,so he gave me butrans,helps a little still take percocet my problem is scar tissue l-4-5 nerve root now i can hardly walk from knees to feet i cramp up when walking outside.i just dont understand why they cant help me,i also had failed scs,failed fusion l-4-5, Rick
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Per my doc I am a better candidate for the pain pump then the SCS. Since I have issues at all levels of my spine the SCS would not be a good option for me. During my visit Friday my doc and I discussed the pump and he gave me a CD from Medtronics concerning the pump. I also am scheduled for a class during my next month appointment with a rep from the maker of the pump. Then my doc doesn't want me to make up my mind right away he wants me to think about it until the next appointment with my decision. I am not sure how I feel about it at this time, there are pros and cons with the pump just like any other treatment. At this point all I can do educate myself as much as possible before I determine if this is the right treatment for me
  • This thread has over 140 posts, it is very long but loaded with a wealth of info about the pain pump. Also pat is a very friendly person, feel free to send her a PM :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • The pain pump and the spinal stimulator are alike but very different.Each has there own function.Each has there own pros and cons.
    Only you and your doc can make the decision to get one or not.
    Even if you do get one, until you've had it for awhile you won't know if it works for you.Seems to me everything is a trial and error.

I have the SCS and haven't used it in over 2 years now.The battery placement bothers me everyday.My trial was fabulous!A different doctor did the implant and it was never right for me.I feel like a complainer but it just didn't work out.I know others it has been a God send for them,wouldn't be without it.So you see, until you have it, you just can't tell how it will be.I wish there was a special code for all things before we go through them but...heh, no such luck.But, good luck to you,I know you & your doc will find a way/combo/system to help you.
This discussion has been closed.