Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Antibiotics before dentist?

Panther13PPanther13 Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I recently read somewhere that once you have had an ACDF, antibiotics should be taken before and after dental visits for the rest of your life. I have never heard this before, had an ACDF over two years ago, and have been to the dentist multiple times without antibiotics. Does anyone know anything more about this?

• My surgeon was very clear about that. He said to tell the dentist that I had fusion surgery with instrumentation and to prescribe pre-treatment antibiotics.

My dentist questioned that so I had both doctors talk. I continue to get antibiotics before getting a check up/cleaning.

Supposedly, there can be micro amounts of bacteria that get released in your blood stream when a dentist is working on your teeth. The bacteria will attack any foreign objects in your body. Given the fusion process and all the metal used in a fusion, the fusion site becomes a potential site for infection.

Hope this helps!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • My surgeons told me "antibiotics until you are fully fused"... When osteogenesis is going on, that growing bone is subject to easy infection. After your fused, 'bone is bone' once again. Both of my spine surgeons told me this.

My upcoming surgery, I was told to expect to take them before dental surgery (actually include cleaning there too!!) antibiotics need to be taken for up to 2 years due to the amount of levels. That's what I was advised...

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hmm I had my teeth cleaned about a month post op. Did not take any antibiotics.

ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Donnabe said:
    Hmm I had my teeth cleaned about a month post op. Did not take any antibiotics.

Young and springy vs us old folks? (G) j/k - Sorry, couldn't resist!! *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I developed a staph infection that was finally diagnosed as MRSA. Should I be taking antibiotics also before dental exams and dental work? I am also going to discuss this with my surgeon next week, but, all of you would probably give me better advice. Thanks in advance.
  • According to my surgeon I should to prophylaxis antibiotics after both ACDF and ALIF.
  • Same with me. An alert dental hygienist politely listened to my story as I slowly positioned myself into the chair. She asked if I had any hardware installed. I said yes. She then called my surgeon's office and I was prescribed antibiotics to be taken immediately prior to any dental procedure for the rest of my life.

At the moment I was a VERY happy person because I got to leave the dental office without any treatment. The feeling was similar to when I was young and they cancelled school. I hate going to the dentist and they were afraid I would never return. I did, but that time with a belly full of antibiotics. When the receptionist asked if I had taken my medicine I jokingly told her that I was so antibiotic that I could have unprotected sex!
  • What antibiotic is prescribed? I was on Bactrim for MRSA because penicillin was not effective for MRSA. Preventatively should I be on amoxicillin (penicillin) or any other suggestions. Thanks for your helpful and kind input.

• I had read about needing to take antibiotics before dental treatment.

After my surgery (about 6 months), I broke a tooth and needed treatment. I asked my surgeon and he said that used to be advised, but not any more.

I am in the UK, and we do have some different rules given to us.

Needless to say, I didn't have any problems.

I would certainly check with your surgeon if you are uncertain.

• Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by The Spine-Health Moderator Team
  • My doc said i didn't need the antiobiotics for dental work, and i had a 2 level ACDF done 6 months ago. had my teeth cleaned a month ago, and the office didn't panic and say i had to get them or anything. I know my mom who has a rod in her leg from a break and a hip replacement does need them now. i guess it depends on the doc what they want. (then again i also only wore a cervical collar for a week post surgery which seems to be on the short side of what people do.)
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • I was same problem before some years ago and i was founded empowered doctor clinic and really i am satisfied with the result of teeth health. Antibiotics treatment is needed before get any dental surgery or treatment but it is depend on your health condition.