Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

"Recommended" Advanced Directive due to your type of surgery!

• Every surgery I have had in Michigan they have asked if I have an advanced directive on file, and when I say no they ask if I would like one put on file. My wife and I both have power of attorney both medical and financial made out at home in case of the need.

I feel that the decision should be made according to the situation, not just a general form at the hospital.

Just my thoughts though.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    When I had my (prior to) marathon neck revision surgeries .... They had me do one also.

Remain calm! .... everything WILL be OK!!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Gary, Dave,

Believe it or not, I am pretty calm presently! Probably my MOST calm of any surgery in my life!! Sigh... as my hubby put it, "I am damned if I do, and damned if I don't mode" with this mess - so my emotions came into check fairly fast this go around? My hubby is in 'the zone' of not thrilled...as this has not come up before. He will be fine though. (G)

There are 3 options they give you, the first being you having an advocate (my hubby for me), the next a "Living Will", and the last (hehe...to which I would NEVER sign on for), a power of attorney to 'someone' you trust. I guess that is good if you have no family, and too, live alone, but *that* one creeps me out.. Lol!! Sorry, non kin folk deciding your 'final decisions?' Hurmf...

My hubby knows my feelings and wishes totally, as I do his. Sucky thing to talk about sure, but he and I did many, many moons ago due to our occupations. Hell, (G) he and I have worked as industrial electricians together in the past! Was good!!! :)

Hate to say it... but "hit and run, and your done" is so much easier than this crap! (G) Sorry, but this is new to me down here....

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Awww, Brenda, don't let your hubby stress too much. They ask *everyone* around here, even for relatively minor surgeries. It's policy at a lot of places, and a good idea if there's any doubt that a family war could start if you couldn't make decisions for yourself -- say, on a ventilator in ICU post-op.

I really hope everything goes smooooothe as ice for you. I never have any fears when approaching surgery, even my ACDF which was pretty nasty according to the NS. I just worry about what I have control over, trust in the doc (as in, trust that I picked the right guy for the job), and I'm at peace.

I'm thinking that I may need a posterior fusion at some point... troubles with swallowing, neck/shoulders/arms/hands are hurting bigtime, rotating/extending my neck makes me almost pass out, and my graft has stress fractures and never fully "took". But who knows if Medicare will cover such a thing.

Anywhooo, I digress. I wish you the very, very best and feel inside that you'll come through just fine. Keep the faith, baby! :-)

• Howdy Charlotte,

From what I'm seeing on here, and on other sites this "DNR", "Advanced Directive" has become the new norm of recent! Wow how much changes in such a short time... My hubby is playing with our XBox now - a 'surgery' gift we bought yesterday for my recovery...(G)

Its funny when you think about it, *I* am the one that could go 'bye-bye' and yet our loved ones are the worried ones. Go figure! Snicker, chuckle...sigh.

• You should have a proper Will and Testament, Advanced Directive, and DNR filed with the hospital before *any* surgery. Since there is always risk. The last thing you need is your family stuck if things go terribly wrong.

Mine were done before I even went in for a discogram, myelogram, or the actual microd and fusion surgeries. It's just better safe than sorry. It freaks some people out but it is a reality.
  • I have always been asked before admission but never had it suggested to me that the level of my surgery made it more appropriate or recommended than others.
    That sounds insensitive and very unorthodox to me.
    I do however have a will and an advance directive in duplicate originals notarized and executed. One with my wife and one with my executor to the will and another copy of the directive on file at the hospital.
    When my mother died 4 1/2 yrs ago the nursing home transferred her to the hospital and failed to send the advance directive and DNR with her. She had an emergency pacemaker installed even in the face of multiple organ failures as a result. It was not her wish and I pitched a fit. I had the honor of forcing them to honor her wishes and allowing her to die with dignity in my hands ON my own 48th birthday.
    I will never go back under the knife without the hospital AND my advocate in possession of my legal documents to enforce my wishes.
  • Graham,

I've always had a will in place, just never did the other forms before. I've filled out the AD and DNR for the hospital.

I think that is what got me going for this surgery was the "reason" for these forms. I agree with *any* surgery there is risk, it was just never suggested or pushed like this time. I know my hubby wasn't happy either, so I know it wasn't me just being sensitive. (G)