Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does a recliner help after ACDF surgery?

BuelaBBuela Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:57 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I'm reading through as many of the "recovering from ACDF" threads that I can find, both to get an idea of the types of things people go through or struggle with during recovery, and to figure out where I need to plan some things out in advance.

One thing I'm seeing frequently is folks saying that they feel best sitting or even sleeping in their recliner.

If you had and used a recliner, was it really a lot more comfortable for you than regular chairs/sofas/beds?

If you didn't have or use a recliner, what did you find to be the most comfortable for you to rest or sleep?

I'm thinking about trying to find a recliner to borrow, or maybe buy one from a thrift store, if it really is likely to make a difference.
advertisement

Comments

• I bought a recliner before my surgery. It was an inexpensive one, about 250 dollars. It was a lazy boy. I spent most of my time after surgery in this chair. Besides going for my required walks. I still really like this chair and I am actually sitting in it right now. Good investment.

As for sleeping I was able to sleep in my bed, propped with pillows wearing my neck brace, drugged. I was very worried I wouldn't be able to sleep in my bed pre op, but I was actually able to!

If you do get a recliner be careful how much you do sit in it, I ended up having a strain in my back and I think part of it was sitting in the recliner with the legs straight out for too long. Maybe keep the leg rest down most of the time.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Hi Buela.

I also bought a recliner before my ACDF and it's still my best friend. I slept in it for a few weeks after my surgery and spent most of my time in it.

The best way for me to sit in it is to only sightly raise my legs, perhaps just a foot or so off the floor, to the point that you feel almost zero gravity. I also have a rolling table next to it so I can roll it in front of me to use the computer or eat meals on.

It was worth every penny, and it wasn't very expensive. We were going to put it in the living room temporarily and then move it out and the matching chair to our furniture back in after I recovered, but three years later (to the day today) it's still in its place in the living room. It probably won't ever be moved now. :-)

Be sure to look at the post-op must haves in the surgery section. You won't need everything, but I can tell you that having a grabber, pillows, bendy straws and comfortable things to wear like lounge pants and nice slippers.

Take care and please keep us posted.

Cathie
  • I used the recliner built into the sofa, but didn't really spend that much time in it. I was pretty comfortable (well, as comfortable as you can possibly be wearing a neck collar) sleeping in bed. I had a foam wedge pillow that I used the first night (in a hotel room next to the hospital) and was planning on laying down in the back of the car on the ride home (7-hour) drive, but was more comfortable just sitting in the passenger seat.

Even though I didn't use it a lot, I would guess I would have been uncomfortable if I never would have the option of sitting in it.
  • The recliner was my best friend other than the bendy straws. I slept in if for a long time and still use it when I am not feeling well. I think it is worth the investment. Good luck
  • Buela,

I found for my C5/6 (where the plate is in my avatar) my LazyBoy recliner was my best friend!! I bought a pair of them a few years before my cervical surgeries, and sadly found them to be an even better investment than they were bought for!

I also found that I slept in it more than my bed, and if my bed, I used a zillion pillows under my head and shoulders, not to mention legs and feet to get a similar feeling. I've now undergone a 5 level posterior surgery for my cervical into thoracic, and once again am in love with my recliner, and too my adjustable bed if that helps. :) Good luck in your surgery and recovery!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
advertisement